Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Friday, December 30, 2011

On the fifth day...





This morning Doug still has Christmas tunes playing on his iPad. I love the Christmas season, but I admit I'm pretty much done with Jingle Bells style Christmas songs. I just asked him to change channels. There is a Gregorian Holiday station on Pandora that plays lovely religious Christmas songs. "Once in Royal David's City" by King's Choir College is my current favorite.

On this fifth day (which is actually the sixth day but I started the day after) we need to clean up the house for tomorrow's party and put the tree away. We normally keep the tree lit until the Epiphany but this year there are three strands of lights that have gone out. It's pretty dark and rather looks ridiculous (sad face).

As we clean up I like to look again at my Christmas gifts. Though we don't exchange gifts with many, I do have a few favorites (I always have favorites).

Not in any particular order:



My Kindle Fire from my beloved. Love it. I watched Masterpiece Theater junk on it almost every night this break. Hopefully when we get back to school that won't be a habit, but it feels wonderfully indulgent right now. I need to investigate some apps for school.





This pen, given to me by my techy son, Geoffrey. It's not an ink pen but a screen pen. It works wonderfully on my Kindle and my iPhone. Way better than fingertips. the tip is soft and smooshy, not hard like a stylus. Cool. Except I really will have to tie it around my neck like a geek because I keep losing it.




The Imitation of Christ, leather bound with a zipper. A truly good Catholic gift that lasts a lifetime. From my mother-in-law.




I showed you the bracelet I was working on the other day that arrived in my stocking as a kit. Unfortunately when I finished it, the loops were too large for my arm, and so my mother-in-law got another gift. I have a new kit on the way, bronze and silver, and I'll attach a bronze Miraculous Medal. I am anxious to wear my chains for Our Blessed Mother as a reminder that I am her slave.


I have bad feet. Nothing specific just all-around bad feet. They hurt all the time, but my mom knows and she buys me really good shoes. These feel wonderful, and they are rather jazzy, as long as I don't wear white socks with them.


Well, now you know a little about what floats my boat. What was your favorite gift this year?

14 comments:

  1. Nice gifts, Barbara! =)

    I got a lovely organizer for my circular knitting needles. I was so surprised by my husband!! It is like this:

    http://namasteinc.com/products/accessories/acc_knittinggear.php

    second photo from top but in red.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE my Kindle Fire too! Have you watched Downton Abbey? You can watch for free on your Kindle Fire:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That copy of Imitation of Christ is truly beautiful.

    I've been indulgent in lazy past-times this break, too. :) Feels fabulous. I'm hoping I can break the habit soon, in time to hunker down and get some schoolwork done soon!

    Those shoes are cute. Have you ever tried Danskos? I have ridiculously high arches and they are heaven on my feet.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Sarah -- what a guy. That is a very cool organization system! That was with no tip -off at all?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julia, I watched the whole first season of DowntonAbbeythis week.Doyouknowthe nextseasonstartsJan.8? And I have mycalendar marked!Lovedit.NowI'm watching Bramwell which is very good and not as "edgy."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah, thank you. My mother-in-law has good taste in Catholic books.

    I have never tried Dansko, mostly because of the price. In the summer I wear birkenstocks and I have a wonderful pair of wool haflingers. Fortunately I don't have the need /desire for a lot of shoes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My son loves his Kindle so much that I'm getting a bit jealous and want one for myself! I'm excited about my 52 Saints for Catholic Moms this year.

    I got Dansko clogs (half price!) because I've read so many great reviews about them, and all the drs. and nurses wear them because they're so great. Well, I can wear them for a while, but they hurt my feet like nobody's business! I think it's because they're heavy and the weight on my bunions makes them hurt really badly. :-( Makes me sad. Right now, the cheapie ballet slippers from Target are the most comfy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You got some really nice things. I'm really pleased for you. My husband and I agreed before Christmas we'd get ourselves a new telly for downstairs on an after Christmas sale. That's what we did. But, to see what I got yesterday, you'll have to read my new blog post tomorrow. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Once in Royal David's City" is one I learned this year for our festival of lessons & carols! It is a beautiful one.

    I got something I never thought I'd get: an iPhone! My husband is very anti-Apple and anti-data plan, so I'm amazed at this. (And it's amazingly fun!)

    I too often have sore feet. Those shoes are cute! I got some Dansko look-alikes at Target for about $25 and I can go most of a day in those. (I call them my "confident shoes" since I feel a little extra put-together when I wear them.)

    Glad your son has recovered--gee, he started back to school early!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our family also received a Kindle Fire, and I'm noting that stylus, since my finger tips hurt. Let me know what educational apps you find!

    My other favorite gift was an $0.83 lanyard for the lens cap of my camera. And a flash diffuser. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My two favorite gifts were definitely my NOOK Color and a beautiful sage color coffee mug from daughter (now in college) saying University of Mount Union Mom :)

    Happy New Year Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stylus also comes in quite handy when your guitar calluses cause the iDevice not to recognize that it's a FINGERTIP touching the screen! It won't acknowledge my left index finger at all. I have the same stylus and it's great. Also, though, the same problem of keeping an eye on its location.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Favorite gift was just having everyone here for a Christmas Open House. --- Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  14. Believe it or not, all I gave him was a short list of areas of interest (i.e., knitting). He went to my favorite yarn store and picked it out himself! I was so pleased =) I never would buy something like that for myself, but this little case truly beats the gallon-size Ziploc I was using ~ LOL!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!