Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Yarning along...





...with Ginny @ Small Things.



Happy feast of St. Andrew, dear friends. The Scottish shortbread just came out of the oven and shortly the Tuna Noodle Casserole will go in. Today was grocery shopping day, so I'm getting a late start on Yarn Along, as you might be able to tell by the evening light on my photo.




I finished Faith's Tiny Tea Leaves Cardigan yesterday and blocked it last night. I was a little disappointed yesterday with the way it looked before I blocked it. I always underestimate the magic of blocking. It softened up beautifully and all the stitches (well, most) evened out wonderfully. The yarn is KnitPicks Swish worsted in cornmeal. I have to find two buttons in my button stash and then it will be all done. I'll try to get a shot of her wearing it before next week. I already cast on a hat for my nephew for Christmas, because it's the mad season of trying to knit fast enough to give homemade gifts.

I am still reading Those Who Saw Her, only because my bedtime reading has been drastically cut by my late night knitting. I am enjoying it and it is a good companion for me to our homeschooling studies of Marian apparitions with the coloring book series by Mary Fabyan Windeatt.

I have to tell you, however, that I will always associate this sweater with the British mini-series Wives and Daughters. I watched the whole series one day last week before Thanksgiving (it felt beautifully indulgent to do so, since I should have been cleaning!) and knit the whole while. I loved the series, and if you like Jane Austen-esque films (this film's writing was not quite as lyrical as a Jane Austen, but similar in many ways) you will love it, and especially if you like this Pride and Prejudice you will find many of the same actors.

Off to enjoy a feast day dinner...join Ginny for more knits and yarns.



16 comments:

  1. Wow, that is just beautiful. Just amazing that you made it. (well, not you, because you are amazing anyway) but that anyone could make something so beautiful.

    Really have to learn that someday....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beauitful sweater! I love Jane Austen's and Elizabeth Gaskell's books and the movies/ mini-series made of them. Have you watched North and South yet? I just watched it recently and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sweater is lovely. The book I just finished was very Austen-esque as well and I am already lamenting the fact that there is no more to read! ("I Capture the Castle")

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think there is a tea leaves sweater that I don't love. I especially like the color of yarn you chose. Soft and cheery. :) I really need to make one someday. Maybe after Christmas when things slow down. I'm currently working on my second attempt at my first pair of socks.

    Oh, and I love Wives and Daughters. It's based on the book by Elizabeth Gaskell. The same author of North and South and Cranford. I own all three movies. I also learned that Gaskell was a protege of Charles Dickens and was a close friend of Charlotte Bronte. I like neat info like that. Yes, I am a dork.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tiny Tea Leaves is such a great pattern, and I can't wait to see Faith in it. Isn't blocking amazing???

    Give me a day to sit and watch such a great show all day and knit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would so love a sweater like that. It is just beautiful! Well done, dahling!!!! I'm sure Faith will wear it well, as she is so pretty herself!

    Who doesn't like British telly?!? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Jamie, you are just too nice to me! :-) Some day you should learn -- it's a great reason to sit down!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Erica. And after you left this comment I started it and got through Season one -- loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jenny, I saw a film has been made from that book. I'll be adding it to my queue!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Cheryl. :-) That means a lot coming from you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the info, Kelly. I suppose I thought since Wives and Daughters was a TV mini-series that it wasn't an impressive novel. So wrong! I started North and South and love it too, though not quite as much as Wives and Daughters. I could watch that again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sara,
    Blocking is amazing. It really is like magic!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, Sarah. I admit I'm not a fan of all British telly. Unlike you, I have a limited sense of humor. :-) I just don't get the funny stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Barbara, your cardigan is so lovely! To make such a pretty item of clothing is a special gift! Scottish Shortbread sounds really delicious! I hope you had a Blessed Feast day of St. Andrew!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!