Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Friday, November 25, 2011

Quick Takes



Joining Jen for Quick Takes today.

-1-
I am going to be really awful and say I am thankful that Thanksgiving is over. Last night I was thinking that paper plates and tables set in the garage is not such a bad idea.


-2-
This morning I am not have any sugar-coated memories of yesterday. I felt like a chef at a Thanksgiving buffet. Or possibly the mat on which the chef stands.

I have no illusions that the holiday is about me, but my own brother said neither hello, goodbye, nor thanks-for-dinner-sis. Hmmm.


-3-
By the time we said grace I fear I had none left. I prayed to God, "I don't care if the turkey is dry, just let me be nice." Is this the curse of every hostess of the large Thanksgiving feast?


-4-
My youngest son, a teenage boy, saved me by saying "Mom, the tables look beautiful." Today he is my favorite son. Not really but he definitely is getting extra gravy on his leftover stuffing.


-5-
No shopping for me today, unless you count armchair shopping -- my favorite kind. I ordered some stocking stuffers this morning. Eleven days until the feast of St. Nicolas.


-6-
And since we're talking about gifts, my oldest son brought home his Kindle Fire and I think I might need Santa to bring me one this year. It's very cool and I have overcome my dislike of reading on an electronic screen -- you can curl up in a chair with it just like a book. It's pretty dang expensive, and my husband is not known to really ask for suggestions, but I'm a wishin' and hopin'.


-7-
And speaking of books, here's a tip for you: Treasure Chest for Tweens is great resource for choosing super awesome and safe books for your favorite young people (they call them "tweens").

13 comments:

  1. I have experienced that same feeling before, Barbara, after hosting a holiday. You work so hard, and a tiny bit of appreciation would be nice. I completely understand. And I'm sorry.

    I am interested in the Kindle, too ... It's on my WISH list. Emphasis on the word WISH!

    I'd love to know what some of the stocking stuffers you're getting are ... I am having a tough time this year finding some good ones. I don't want to spend a fortune either. I have six to fill! (Well, five, Joseph doesn't really know about these things, yet =)

    Thanks for the tip on the tween book site. It is getting harder to find books for {A}.

    Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We put mostly edible stuff in the stockings, and one small something. This year, I'm stuffing their stockings with playsilks. Tip? Get small stockings, and there's not so much space to fill. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I laughed outloud at number 3, I can totally relate!!

    I love/hate how Tom's brother (the only one who ever offers to help) says "Can I, uh, help you, uh, put the dishes in the dishwasher?" That's when I try not to laugh in his face and say "That's the fun part, the dishes are already rinsed, the food put away and I have all those big things to wash and scrub!!" But, I try to be pleasant and be thankful that at least he is asking to help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara, I'd love to cook for you next Thanksgiving, come on down to Georgia! (or, I'd come to you as I look for any excuse to go back to Ohio (and Michigan) right now!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am always thankful for your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm...perhaps next year brother should cook his own turkey....love you, Barbara
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah,
    I'm so glad it's not just me. I felt guilty yesterday after I posted -- not carrying my martyr's crown with much grace (wink).

    I got each of the kids a little bag of legos -- because even big kids love legos and they are just a mini bag with a small item to build. The boys got a shaving bowl, brush and soap because I always thought they were very neat and old-fashioned and I think they will too. Faith will probably get some new ear buds because she loses them all the time. The rest will probably be candy. On Christmas I fill them again but with socks and a Christmas ornament (and some more candy).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good tip, Jennie. Our stockings are not too big, but I often find the items I buy are too big (like a book or video).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Jamie, thank you for admitting you might not feel so nice either! Yes, be grateful that he at least asks to help. After dinner was over, I was cleaning off the table we had set up in the family room, and every single man had his behind parked in an easy chair or the sofa watching a football game. I commented that "in my next life" I want to be a man after Thanksgiving dinner (actually, my next life -- heaven -- should be way better).

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're very sweet, Beth. And I think, without intentionally doing so, you hit the nail on the head. Families just treat each other like old comfy chairs, whereas friends never take for granted the love they receive!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, anonymous! Very kind. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's good, Cheryl. You know I always joke to my husband when my brother asks what he can bring (usually the day before when everything has already been bought) "hey, how about a 22 lb. roasted turkey?"

    Love you too! It's a sad thing we can't be at each other's feast.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wrote a comment yesterday, on my phone, that got eaten by blogger. grrr. I said, I thought that if we ended up slaving away over perfection and making ourselves and everyone else miserable in the process, that maybe we should scale back a bit. I'm not saying that's what you do, just that we need to be aware of our limitations and find a happy medium.

    I watched my MIL do everything for T-day and she was always gracious and calm. Now, lots of people were pitching in to help here and there, and she was never alone in the kitchen because that's where this family gathers. There were 23 there for dinner, too! She makes it look so easy. I OTOH, grumble about doing all the work and I think that's why people stay away and don't help.

    I wish I could have been at your feast, too!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!