Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Friday, October 28, 2011

A great evil and its consequences


Just a little thinking today, sparked by a homeschool lesson.

After I wrote yesterday's post, Faith and I got down to business and finished up her schoolwork for the day, which included a history lesson. I am using Our Pioneers and Patriots this year, as just a part of her history curriculum, and it is one of my favorite history texts for young people (although I have probably said that about all of Fr. Furlong's history texts).

Faith is currently learning about Colonial times and, in our reading, we came across the subject of slavery. From the text:

 "The bringing of slaves to Virginia was a great evil. Later, this evil caused great sorrow not only to slaves and plantation owners but to the nation."

That second sentence gave me pause. Clearly the great sorrow was the Civil War. As I mentioned in yesterday's post, I find the period of the Civil War to be the most frightening period of this country's history. Yes, it was a fascinating period to historians and such, and it has been glamorized to some degree by movie makers. But when you think about the reality of the Civil War, it is chilling. Americans killed Americans by the hundreds of thousands. Imagine your husbands, sons, and brothers fighting a war against husbands, sons and brothers from a neighboring state. War today is not limited to cannons, rifles, and bayonets. It's a gruesome thought.

But then realize how great an evil abortion is -- infinitely more evil than slavery. Slaves were treated inhumanely, but they were permitted to live and breathe and love one another. And eventually many of them were free -- those who lived to see "the end."

The number of slaves prior to the Civil War is estimated by the American Civil War Census Data to be almost 4 million. The number of babies aborted in the United States (according to NRL) since 1973 is over 53 million. The numbers of babies killed by abortion is 13 times the number of slaves who were kept. Our country went to war over slavery (there were some other issues, but most of them came down to the issue of slavery as well), and I wonder when the war will come over abortion.

I wonder if it's possible to abolish abortion without a war. Just as southerners justified the use of slaves, believing it to be right,  pro-choicers will never admit that abortion is wrong. Over 53 million women have aborted their infants in this country. If even half of the fathers were a party to it, then almost 80 million people have a vested interested in keeping abortion legal, if only to justify their own actions. Add to that even one parent for half of those women and the number goes over 100 million. Then add those who are parties because their job depends upon it. And then add in those who support the right to abort because their ideology depends upon it. It's not hard to see how half of Americans today believe that abortion should continue to be a right afforded to those who are presently alive.

Sorry to be a downer on a Friday evening, but I've been thinking hard on this subject. Maybe you find this to be extreme thinking, bit I think it's horrifying to imagine what could happen.


12 comments:

  1. Never thought about that progression, but I will be now.

    Very thought-provoking, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. My. Goodness. My husband and I had this very same discussion after finishing The Civil War documentary the other day. It is a scary thought, indeed. We were contemplating how this could happen today in modern times and abortion was the progression of our thoughts. We related it the same way you have here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you, and so well written. My children and I were praying at pp a week ago, and a very angry person was ranting about how abortion is wrong but the Supreme Court makes it legal...so stop picking on the poor people who work here (at pp). He is black and brought up slavery and basically made the pro life point without knowing it. He was to irrational to talk to and in end the police had to come. I think our culture/society is paying a big price already, but I am sure more is to come.
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  4. We need more "prayer warriors"! (Ephesians 6:12) --- Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep in mind that there are MANY women that have had multiple abortions. So it's probably not 53 million women having had abortions but more like 30 million with 23 million having had more than one abortion.

    The good news (because there is hope to be had) is that MANY of those women and men that have suffered an abortion experience are returning, in strength and conviction, to the pro-life movement. Those people are fearless because they've been through hell and have survived and can tell the God's honest truth about PP. In my experience, me standing outside a clinic, holding a sign that says "Regret your abortion? Come talk to me, I can help you." *infuriates* the director and the nurses. They don't want someone like me telling these women the truth. And what's even more telling is that I'm standing there with all five of my kids, pregnant with #6, while the two deathscorts have aborted their children and don't have anyone to help carry on their ideologies. As much as abortion supporters want to say they're strong, they're weakening because OUR numbers are growing. We're telling our children the truth about abortion.

    And in turn, we will win.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The idea that we can only change the direction the country is going is through civil war has been weighing on my mind for years. Keep in mind that the South didn't say "We're fighting so we can continue to oppress the black man." No war will be fought for the right to kill unborn children. I think it will be a states' right issue once again, but those in favor of states' rights will be the ones protecting the unborn. And it will be the Northeast with the West Coast against everybody else. I'm moving to Texas or Alaska.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Allison, I'm glad you didn't find me too "far out." :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kelly, the more I learn about the Civil War the more scared I get.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, we do Rosemary. Unfortunately many who believe in prayer also believe in the right to kill the unborn. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are right, Theresa. And thanks for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I completely agree, Michelle. And every time there is a big state battle to make abortion illegal I sort of hold my breath. Ohio has two big ones right now and many other states do as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Never do, Barb. In fact, I mentioned it a lot this weekend and everyone I suggested it to took a sobering pause contemplating the possibility.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!