Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Friday, September 30, 2011

Weeks 37-39/52



52 weeks of daily life in pictures: trials and celebrations,  
the extraordinary and mundane -- 
whatever is unique to the week. 
Join me if you like.
 
The weeks in pictures got out of hand (way behind) due to technical difficulties. I mentioned a few weeks ago that iPhoto was importing new photos and replacing the old photos with the new. I lost a ton of photos. Well, not a ton, but, a lot and for most I can't even remember what they were because I have a lousy memory.

One day I was on the phone with AppleCare for another issue (If you ever buy a Mac, bite the bullet and get AppleCare. Those guys -- and so far I have only talked to men so they are guys -- know Macs like I know....nothin'. I know Apple calls them "geniuses" at the store, but to me, they really are.) and I mentioned my problem, just sort of, "Oh by the way I have this other problem -- any idea?" and he knew right away that the date on my camera was turned off and so iPhoto was reading each photo like it was from the same date -- it just reads the series of numbers identifying each photo, but since the date was turned off the numbers were essentially the same each time and iPhoto replaced the old with the new. Sure enough, I checked the camera and the date was turned off. Doug fixed it and hopefully now it will all be better. I actually only tell you this in case you ever have that problem, and now you'll know just what it is. I wish I was smarter about technology but I would have never, ever figured that one out. Actually, most of the time, I wish technology just wasn't so complicated.

Anyway, photos from the last few weeks. They appear sort of random, and they are.


 The Feast of the Triumph of the Cross -- annual Cross brownie.







 My niece Rachel's birthday song/cake. She was in town (they live in Maryland) to bring her brother to college (he's a frosh at Ohio State) on her actual birthday so I baked her a cake -- for lunch. She asked for butter cake with lemon frosting, and of course she needed pink sugar sprinkles. If you remember, Rachel had thyroid cancer earlier this year and she is doing very well. As you can see. ;-)




 I received a huge box of beads from a lovely woman who bought a rosary from me. She used to make rosaries herself, but now struggles with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and can no longer make them. There are hundreds, if not thousands of beads here. When the box arrived, Doug and I discussed what to do with all the beads and he asked if I would supply our Catholic hospital chapels with rosaries (he works for the Foundation of the hospital). I said, "great idea." The very next week, Father Ryan asked for volunteers to supply him with rosaries to bless and offer. Divine Providence? I'd say so. Now all I need is time...




 A necklace for Joshua's girlfriend. They've been dating for a year. Can you believe it? Sigh... He has always loved owls, hence the owls on the tile (which I obtained from Etsy, but made the rest).




 Random potato pancakes. They were delish.





 Science class -- Faith is loving this human model.





 Reading class -- she reads on the treadmill sometimes. Too much energy.





 First day of class for this frosh. Yes, college students get schultutes, too.




 Doug's aunt from Florida, asked me for eight car rosaries, all in blue. I was busy for a while.




 Faith, reading, for pleasure. A rarety indeed. Thank you, Mrs. B for the recommendation (although you didn't tell me there were magic spells!)




 Faith and I made dog cookies. I truly have gone over the edge. I plan to share the recipe on my food blog.





 Sewing chapel veils. Thanks, Kimberlee, for the easy instructions.





 Latin Mass -- new to Faith, a reintroduction for me.






If you want to join me in 52 Weeks of Photos, just leave a comment in the com box and I'll come and visit. Thanks.





9 comments:

  1. That necklace is beautiful. Tell that nice lady who gave you all those beads to get the surgery!!! I had carpol Tunnel surgery 8 years ago and had waited way too long--I had it for 12 years, until it was keeping me up at night. My hands have been totally normal since. (it was so very nice of her to give you her beads though!)

    SO, I have gone to a lot of Latin Masses. Our Diocese offers them, actually at our own parish, 2-3 times per month. I admit, I've only gone once or twice since having kiddos though. I never did do the veils because, for me, it felt contradictory of me to wear a veil for Latin Mass, because of Jesus, but not for the English Mass, so I had this big dilema if I was going to decide to do it, I would do it for Jesus, not for looks or to fit in. It had to be from the heart.

    They are not wearing the veils because it's a Latin Mass, they are wearing the veils because it's Jesus there and we cover our heads in front of our Lord.

    SO, I took it even to my holy hour...I'd have to cover my head in the Adoration chapel, afterall, it's Jesus, right? I feel so close to Jesus in there, maybe it's wrong of me to think that way, but, I do, and it just didn't feel right. I just decided to be me...I decided no veils for me.

    Just curious, if you are wearing veils always now, to the English Mass too? We do have several people who wear the veils to the English Mass too. They are the same people who frequent the Latin Mass.

    What do you think about all that? Or am I too deep into this? Do I think too much?

    I meant to comment when you first posted about the Latin Mass...but got busy and never came back!!

    I also wanted to say that I remember my first Latin Mass way back, maybe 16 or 17 years ago, and how I felt. I was shocked at how similar it actually was to the English Mass. I expected the whole thing to be in Latin, even the homily, which it was not, even the readings are in English. I was surprised at that, because of the people who are so against the Latin. it's really only used in the main prayers, not the whole thing. Our church provides missels so it's easy to follow along (if you don't have littles)

    Another quick comment about the Latin Mass is Latin Mass goers always say something about the priest facing Jesus...I don't get that, because Jesus is not one sided, even if the priest is facing the people for the Consecration, like in the English, he is still facing Jesus. Right? He is presenting Jesus to all of us, so we are right there at the crucifixion.

    OK, done now.

    and probably in trouble, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing your little kiddo walking and reading. I am a lazy reader...nursing my baby, on my bed, with a pillow and a book....doesn't get better then that.

    Beautiful cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see your niece looking so well! Have yet to attend a Latin Mass in our area, but am seriously considering where and when. The car rosaries are lovely. My husband has had two self-destruct in our car from the wear and tear of the motion. Perhaps the wire-wrapped kind would be better? --- Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jamie, sorry it took so long to reply. I think you have valid points.

    I do not veil for NO Mass. And the reason I veiled for Latin Mass is because it's tradition. Maybe I have not put enough thought into it but tradition was a good enough reason for me. No one (one woman I have ever in all our years seen) veils at our NO Mass. I would be tremendously self conscious and it would distract from everything the Mass is for me. It would be like going to the store in my pajamas. But if everyone wore their pajamas I would get used to it. Ya know?

    I always think of the priest with his back to us as leading us -- when you are following someone he does not face you. Though I admit it bothered me a little that I could not see what he was doing. I'm sure that's something one gets used to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS you'd have to do waaaay worse to be in trouble with me, Jamie. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This child has endless energy, Christine. And most likely some ADHD but we won't use any labels here ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rosemary, if your husband could destroy a wire-wrapped rosary I'd be really surprised. They are pretty dang strong. Or maybe he needs the twine variety. Did I make those car rosaries he destroyed?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, no, Barbara: you didn't make the ones my dh destroyed! But I really thought the second one would last -- and it lasted only one fifth of the time the first one did!

    I will look on your rosary site and see if I can decide on just one. :) --- Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rosemary,
    I don't have any wire-wrapped rosaries for the car over there. If you want one, just let me know if there is another wire wrapped style and I can make a car rosary in the same style.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!