Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Monday, August 08, 2011

Welcome Home

.

 I'm joining Rosie at Like Mothers Like Daughters to talk about how our home looks to other people.

Like most folks, I want to have a nice home to present to friends and family, and the occasional stranger who stops by to sell something (actually I really don't care what he thinks), but with three children still at home, and all with different interests and schedules, it doesn't always happen. Shoes are often left on the porch or by the door and baskets of clean and folded laundry are often parked on the front hall bench awaiting a pair of strong arms to carry up the stairs. Dollies and scooters are often left on the porch and the front hall floor is frequently covered in a thin layer of dog hair (even though I sweep at least once a day). Though I may want for my house to be perfect, it almost never is. I can only do my best and hope no one who visits wears white gloves.

 The front walk and the front porch.


 We really use our front porch -- at least when it's not 90 degrees out -- and that makes it a little harder to keep tidy. Doug might leave his newspaper there and Faith might leave her dollies there, so it's just another room to tidy up. Fortunately we can hose it off after Faith chalks on it, and squirt the spider webs from the corners. This year we have some aggressive Virgina Creeper that needs to be tugged down from the brick. I'm thinking about painting that brick, by the way, and wonder what your thoughts are on painted brick.



 Our home is an almost-30 year old central hall tudor style house. Through the front door you can see straight down the front hall and into the kitchen eating area. I always hated that you can see the table from the door, but it is incentive to keep the table cleared off as much as possible. The bench in the hall (the one that occasionally catches laundry baskets) often has a stack of books on it, but that's the only thing that permanently resides there. When we have a crowd for dinner we use the bench at the kitchen table instead of two chairs on the side.


I find the best way to keep the house as tidy as possible is to have and obey the rule "a place for everything and everything in its place." I might set a basket of laundry down for an hour, but by the end of the day it will go upstairs and be put away. And Faith might leave her shoes laying next to the door, but they will get put away before bed. The only way to keep "stuff" from building up is to constantly stay on top of it. Make certain everything has a place and constantly remind people to put their stuff there. It doesn't come naturally, does it? But if we let stuff sit, it never seems to find its way home.


Stepping into the front foyer you can see the living room to the right. It mostly stays clean because the children don't use it for the most part. Doug tells me once in a while that he would like to have a television in there, but then I remind him that a television would make the room inviting to the children and that ends that discussion.


I find that the two groups most responsible for clutter in our home are: our children, who want to acquire more stuff, because stuff is what "it's" all about, and our parents, who are trying to get rid of the stuff that they have acquired, because apparently stuff is really not what "it's" all about.


Doug and I do not, for the most part, acquire anything. We throw things away -- when the kids aren't looking, I throw away cheap plastic crap, toys and games with parts missing, and other stuff that has no use (in my humble opinion). When our parents give us things, we go through them and keep things with meaning and give the rest to charity. I used to have a real problem with stuff my mom and Doug's parents gave us. I felt obliged to keep everything. It was a real revelation when I gave myself permission to keep passing things on. I know that most of the time they just want to get rid of things, so I only keep that which we truly can use or has sentimental value.




I do think that a tidy house is inviting to others. Not only are we sometimes embarrassed by other people's messes (do we really want to see their dirty clothes and messy dishes?) when we go to their house (and our own when they come to ours), but who wants to sit down and visit when you feel like you should pitch in and clean.

I find the one tool that is most helpful to keeping a house tidy is baskets. Remember the rule I mentioned above -- a place for everything? If you keep a reasonable number of baskets and assign very specific things to those baskets (and they are not overflowing with random junk that really belongs elsewhere) you can keep a fairly tidy home without knocking yourself out every day. 
 I also once heard a motivational speaker say "handle each piece of paper once" and that has become very helpful when dealing with stuff in the house. When the mail comes, I take it right to the counter next to the trash can. What is trash goes straight in, and what is a bill goes right in the bill folder on the counter next to the trash can. I have one heavy duty magnetic clip that keeps things that need immediate attention, but everything else gets dealt with promptly. 
The most helpful tip, however, for keeping a tidy home is just not acquiring stuff. For every thing you acquire, get rid of another. Recycle or donate and keep it moving.

.

16 comments:

  1. You have a lovely home that's very inviting---I'd stop by frequently for a cup of coffee, or other fun beverage, if you lived nearer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh please don't paint the brick! It looks so lovely. The red in it is highlighted by the color of the door and the geraniums make it all pop.

    Your house is lovely and the porch is so inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your front door, especially the red, the creeping vines on the brick....and I love the brick, don't paint it, it's beautiful.

    Your home is beautiful. I'd like to say my home is not as clean as yours, but it's lived in, and most jobs are done, hopefully no one feels as if they need to pitch in to help...except to pick up the toys in the toyroom maybe or mop. the kids' feet are dirtier than their flip flops. --You'll have to ask Christine or Margaret if they feel as if they should clean when they come here--or Paula, oh, Paula did clean when she came here....(she helped me when I broke my leg!!--haha)

    I keep insisting the kiddos keep toys out of the living room....but every day they creep in from the toyroom.

    Funny you post this today, I cleaned all morning and afternoon, the toys and baskets and bins, putting all the right stuff in each particular "home". I have a couple kiddos who like to mix everything together.

    The same 2 have taken over the school room over the summer and used the tables in there every day full of art, puzzles, or whatever they are playing that day. I cleaned out the school room too, I have their drawers or "lockers" (we use a dresser for their school books, each kiddo gets a drawer) and one cabinet left to do tomorrow. Then in comes the new books!

    Fun post!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your porch is just lovely, and personally I would find dollies and the day's newspaper to be charming additions! That's very different from balled-up towels, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love seeing your home, Barbara! It's like I just came over for a little visit =) I like all of your little tips, too. They provided good motivation for a Tuesday morning ... knowing that there are a lot of random things all over the floor in the family room/playroom/kitchen! And we even picked up yesterday. (Sigh.)

    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a lovely home. I especially like the color of the walls in the foyer. Remnants of children's play (within reason) are always a joy to see, and to be perfect would be to be only in heaven. Thanks for sharing. I'd love to sit in the living room and share a cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a lovely home, and a very pretty entrance! My husband was sitting next to me when I opened up your post, and when he saw that first picture he said, "Oh, that looks like a pretty front door!"
    I can often get on board with painted brick, but I think yours is a nice brick, and helps make the entrance warm and inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Agree you have a lovely home!

    And,that it feel like I just came thru for a visit.

    I am inspired by your front.Mine is NOT very inviting as I don't know what to plant,nor do I like what's there. Don't think we'll be spending anything on it either. But you are right, it sets the tone!

    Inside my house, I am a stickler for tidy and probably drive my kids and husband nuts. I've gotten worse since it's been painted and new furniture has come in. While it is inviting,I'm afraid to have anyone come in and mess it up! How's that for ridiculous?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It all looks very inviting! What colour is on the walls of your living room? I'm currently looking for a yellow for one of our rooms.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely home - inside and out! And throwing in my vote for NOT painting the brick! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your home looks pretty! Don't paint the brick.

    I've also been trying to live by the "1 in, 1 (or even 2) out" rule. Slowly but surely, things are improving...

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have a beautiful home that looks warm and inviting. And while I'm okay with painted brick sometimes - I'm with the "don't paint it" group for your's!

    As a side, you gave me tremendous incentive to get a move on the plastic tubs and boxes which are still hanging around since we returned from vacation on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you, kind ladies, for your remarks. I have taken your remarks about the brick to heart and it's safe, for now. ;-)

    Lindsey, the color of the living room is Behr peanut butter in satin finish. I don't think it looks like peanut butter -- more gold. Sometimes in the bright sun (in the winter because in the summer the trees out front provide enough shade) it's too bright. Most of the time, however, I like it. What I would really love to have are soft blue opal walls and brown sofas. Alas, we are not rich enough for new furniture. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So pretty! I love your front porch (and would never paint brick), and I like your bench too. Yes, you are the one who taught me the "a place for everything..." and I sure have realized that I have to keep on it. These boys...they just leave everything everywhere - underwear, socks, - well, all clothes, toys...etc. I am teaching them every day to put things away. And I love it when Isaiah puts things partly away - like puts the clothes on the steps instead of up to the room. Then I make him put them away completely and he complains, but I think he's learning that if he does it correctly the first time, he won't have to do it again. =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. well by now I'm sure you know that I love just about everything regarding your home -- it really is lovely and inviting. And although I have seen some really nice painted brick projects, I agree that your brick is very nice already, especially with your door.

    ALso, we're going to need a bench like that for our dinner table soon. There are too many kids around it to fit them all in chairs. Not a bad problem to have, though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your home!

    I'm in the crowd that if someone comes to visit and the house isn't tidy enough for them, I'll point them in the direction of the cleaning supplies and tell them to have at it. I try to keep up, I really do but I don't think I'll have my house the way I want it until I stop having smallish types running around. I currently have two that it seems the highlight of their day is to see how many times they can undo what mommy has completed.

    Loved taking this little tour of your home! The colors and lay out is really pretty.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!