Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Hildegard von Bingen


Doug and I watched this film the other day, and though I knew I would enjoy it, I was pleasantly surprised that he also enjoyed it. It was about St. Hildegard (she was beatified though she was not officially canonized, yet, she is called a saint -- not certain how that works) and her life, from childhood. She was a remarkable woman. Apparently she was the tenth child in her family (though the film does not reveal this) and as such was considered a "tithe" child -- one whom the family could not guarantee they could feed, thus they gave her to the Church. She was raised in a cloistered community of Benedictines and later became mother superior. The film is in German, subtitled of course, but I found the language to be so beautiful. I think the German language has the distinction of sounding guttural, but it was beautiful, as was the actress who played Hildegard, and the scenery, as well.

I highly recommend it, though not for children, as there are some instances that would be inappropriate. If in doubt of the right age, watch it first.

ps I was delighted to hear my own name among the sisters who lived with Hildegard. I had no idea my name was authentically German (though I'm not certain there was actually a sister named Barbara, the German actress who played Hildegard was also named Barbara). Also, in researching St. Hildegard's life, I learned that she is of the "illustrious" (not my word) family that also bears our last name. Very interesting.

.

2 comments:

  1. Barb, it's been in our queue for quite a long time. Maybe it's time to watch it. Mahalo for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you will enjoy it, Esther! Let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!