Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Monday, June 13, 2011

Daybook...the first day of summer school

.
Outside my window...

...gray, cool, unseasonably so, damp. Cooler temps for the next few days -- great sleeping weather. We had lots of rain just before the weekend started and didn't need to water. Everything is still pretty moist.


I am thinking...

...about the rest of the summer. I have plans and no plans at the same time. I'm taking each day at a time.

...about my youngest boy. Today he started his summer prep classes and summer gym. The prep classes -- algebra I and Latin I -- will help him when he starts in the Fall. Essentially they teach the first quarter material in the summer so that when he hears it again in the fall he will have an easier time of it -- especially the Latin because they cover a lot of material in a short time. Many students get completely over their heads. It will also be good for him to have some one else teach him math -- it never hurts to see it from another point of view. Gym is, well, gym. Four hours a day and he'll have half his requirement in three weeks. He's gonna be whipped tonight! 
I think that at some time in a boy's life he needs to take direction (and have someone else sit on him!) from someone other than mom or dad. Noah has never wanted to do organized sports, so these classes are really good. He will see that I'm not so bad after all!

...that after the summer prep classes my boy and I will be back to arguing over game time, undone chores, etc., so I am going to really enjoy these next few weeks.


I am thankful for...

...cool, gray days

...hot, (strong) black coffee, always

...a new iPhone. Oh boy. I'm determined not to allow it to become a time sucker. So far the only apps I have are Catholic devotional aids, and I used the calendar to plan out my entire day with reminders. I already have a load of wash in because my phone reminded me. Yey! By the way, did you know there is a free Magnificat app available -- with the daily readings, prayers and meditations. It's awesome!


From the lesson plans...

...today is the start of CAT testing for Faith which I admit I am a little nervous about. In the past we used Seton for her and our school district was happy to accept Seton's grade card. This year we used CHC and we have only my grade card which I don't think will be acceptable. I'm sure she'll do fine on the tests...


From the kitchen...

...Irish Soda Scones from the freezer for breakfast.
Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes for dinner and Chocolate Gelato for dessert for St. Anthony's Day.


I am wearing...

...khaki crops and a blue and white blouse -- my uniform.


I am creating...

...some more rosaries this week, just for fun, because I can.

...a baby quilt


I am reading...

... The Forgotten Garden. I am almost finished. It was very enjoyable. I reserved another Kate Morton from the library.


I am hoping...

...for a peaceful, productive day.


I am hearing...

...the washer changing cycles. All else is silent.


Around the house...

...laundry to catch up on, as always. Some ironing. Today I am going to sort through the stuff on the school shelves and pack up what is used and we don't need. I need to sort through boxes from past years, but it's just easier not to, right? They are on the top shelf of the storage space in the basement and I can't reach them anyway. ;-) I also need to tidy up the basement, Can't decide if it will be with or without my daughter. She should help but I can throw away if she doesn't.


I am going...

...to the Post Office. At least that's the plan (and it's on my iPhone so maybe I will do it! Obviously I have the need for someone -- thing -- to tell me what to do.).



One of my favorite things...

...quiet days
...cool nights
...knock-out roses in the garden
...an outdoor fire on a cool evening -- maybe tonight

...Our Blessed Mother. Always.




I am praying for...

...my children, especially Noah, and my husband

...my mother-in-law recovering from hip replacement

...Doug's Uncle Walt who is undergoing chemo for bladder and kidney cancer.

...our priests and all religious.

...several soldiers

...all of the babies whose mothers are contemplating abortion this week.



A few plans for the rest of the week...

...some sewing, some reading, some organizing, some relaxing.


A thought for the day...

"Nothing apart from God can truly satisfy the human heart which is truly in search of Him. Patience is one of the fruits of the Holy Spirit in us. Practically, we are required to be patient in many ways: for there are some things, trials and crosses, which come to us from God; others, temptations and enticements, that come from our old adversary the devil; still other difficulties, that arise from our neighbor: persecution, complaints, unjust accusations. Against all these we must be ever on our guard lest we give way to complaining against the trials our maker sends us; lest again we be led astray into sin, which is what the devil wants; or to be overly disturbed by the thoughtlessness or unkindness of others. For if we want to have our own way always, aren't we really seeking our reward here below in the things of life? Let us couple patience and long-suffering in the spirit of meekness and faith (and so bring forth fruit in patience)!" -- St. Anthony of Padua (feast day today)



Wishing you some productive patience and long-suffering this week!

.

9 comments:

  1. Oooohh... gelato! Do you think if I make it now and let it refrigerate all day it would be ready to put in the ice cream maker tonight?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, am doing CAT testing with Anna today. We use CHC as well. Do you like it?

    Laundry is never ending, but I try to do the biggest part on Mondays.

    Hope your day is peaceful and productive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Barbara, how old is your son who is learning Latin? I've heard that is the hardest language to learn. I hope he enjoys his sessions! I've not heard of Kate Morton and will have to look her up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charlotte -- how did your gelato turn out? My husband thought it was divine! He had two cones. ;-)

    Jenny,
    I really love CHC and that is the only reason I left my comfort zone with Seton and switched. My daughter did very well on the vocabulary section so I feel better about the test.

    Noreen,
    Noah is going into grade 9, but we did Latina Christiana I and part of II at home during the past two years. I think Latin is difficult, but if one has a good grasp of the English language (sentence structure, parts of speech) it comes easier.

    I recently spoke to the German/French teacher at our all-boy school about tutoring Faith in the future and she said Latin is a necessary "evil" for all other foreign language. And it's true -- all other languages have their roots in Latin so I find it very worthwhile. Just think about all the scientific and legal terms in Latin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You don't have your niece listed in the prayers this week....I hope all is well with her!

    After today, 3 more days of school. My kids are SO ready to be done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It tasted good but it never really set up very well. The ice cream maker I use is a Donvier and I don't think it's very reliable. What kind of ice cream maker so you have?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Charlotte, I use a Cuisinart ( http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-ICE-20-Automatic-2-Quart-Ice-Cream/dp/B00000JGRT ). It's very reliable. Mine turned out perfect after freezing the churned mixture for about an hour or so. But after I scooped out my husband's and the kids I put it back in the freezer and later it got a little crumbly (when I scooped out my own). But it tasted fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mine is like an older manual version of that one and I just don't think it does as good of a job as an electric one would. I might have to look into replacing it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's really one of my favorite kitchen appliances. And at the price of store bought ice cream these days...not unreasonable.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!