Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Catching up

.
It seems so much has happened in the past week. I don't know where to start. I guess at the beginning...

Noah had his last homeschool gym class last week -- I alluded to it in my Friday photo post with the photo of his stitches. I left him at class, swung home for a few minutes with Faith and then headed back to pick him up when my cell phone rang. It was Noah saying he had cut his chin, needed me to come now, it needed stitches. Even though he's a big, tall man-boy he was probably scared. I ran into the rec center and found him with a towel and ice pack held to his chin, a butterfly bandage holding together and lovely deep split. I had imagined some kid wielding a hockey stick or lacrosse stick had done the damage, but he had actually fallen, and popped his chin on the floor. I took him up the street to the ER of our local Catholic hospital (instead of driving downtown to Children's) and there we sat for several hours for three stitches. His dad took them out on Sunday and his chin looks great. Just a slight scar -- enough for a little "tough guy" image.


~~~~~~

After the day of stitches, we had graduation day, or evening as it were. Our school's commencement is combined with the Baccalaureate Mass -- all in one event. It was a beautiful event, solemn and so meaningful. Besides their diplomas, the students took away some thoughts for the future.

After passing out the diplomas, the principal of the school told the graduates that he hoped that they were prepared to pass life's final exam (Huh? What? Another test?), that they would continually be called to this test, and if the faculty had not prepared them for this test, then not much else they did prepare them for was worthwhile. The questions on life's final exam are these: When I was hungry, did you give me food? When I was thirsty did you give me drink? When I was a stranger, did you welcome me? When I was naked did you clothe me? When I was ill, did you care for me? And when I was in prison, did you visit me?

I almost made it through commencement without a tear, but that ended when the principal reminded the boys that four years ago they started their first day with him with the Sign of the Cross, In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. And every day of school for four years they started each day with the Sign of the Cross, In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. And he said his hope was that for the rest of their lives they would begin every day with that same Sign of the Cross, In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.


If you have ever raised a child to adulthood you know that is also the hope of every Catholic mother.






After commencement we had a wonderful dinner out with the grandmas and the grandpa and Josh's girlfriend. And then Joshua kept his mother up very late waiting for him to arrive home from the school's grad party.


~~~~~

The day after commencement we traveled out of town for my young cousin Amy's wedding. It was a beautiful ceremony held at the St. Peter in Chains cathedral in Cincinnati. Doug read the first reading and Faith handed out programs, so we felt very much a part of the big event.


That's my sweet uncle's gray head down there on the left -- it runs in the family!


The day was just slightly bittersweet because our Jill was not with us (Amy's younger sister), but she was most definitely with us in spirit. The ceremony was perfect and the day was beautiful and there was not an (obvious) mistake in any bit if it all, so I'm sure Jill's fervent prayers were heard.

The reception was a huge party, also in downtown Cincinnati, and we were sad to leave, but we had a two hour drive ahead, getting us home about 2 a.m. Yawn!


~~~~

The remaining Memorial Day weekend was filled with preparation for our graduate's party this Sunday. We have mulch to spread, pork to roast, cupcakes to bake and salads to prepare -- and that's just the tip of the iceberg (and by "we" I mostly mean "me" though I hope to have a little help with the mulch).

So, I'll catch up with you on Friday with my weekly picture post, and then I'll be off again until next week when I heave a huge sigh of relief and start a much needed week of rest.

'Till then...don't forget that final exam. ;-)


.

4 comments:

  1. Barbara, you will be in my prayers all week. Make sure to take care of you, too, while you see to all the other preparations.

    So glad Noah's chin is healing well.
    Sounds like it was a great commencement ceremony. The principal sounds like a man with principles to live by. So wonderful.
    I am certain Jill was with you all in spirit. Lovely photo of the wedding!

    Sigh... remember going by the Wilmington exit? That was my exit, but we moved back to MN 15 years ago. I think we need to get back to OH for a visit.......
    Blessings to you during your busy week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing that . . . I shall try and begin my days "in the Name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit . . . ". I cannot fathom His remembering me when I so often forget Him. Lord, Have mercy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sure are busy! Lots of wonderful events in your life!

    Congratulations (again) to you son! His ceremony sounded wonderful. What a good principal!

    Glad the chin is healing, too. :)

    I hope all of the preparations are going well ... God bless you, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm confident that the week to come will result in more photos and more beautiful memories for you and your family. Thank you for sharing the principal's comments and the poignancy of the wedding.

    Rosemary

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!