Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Friday, November 12, 2010

All Good Friday

.

Yesterday my two little homeschoolers and I took a little road trip. We live about 90 minutes from the National Shrine to Our Lady of Consolation, and since we had been there only once I thought another trip was in order. Our Lady was calling us, you could say. Today's Good/Bad Friday is report on our trip and since it was a field trip to see Our Lady it's really "All Good Friday." There is just nothing bad about visiting Our Lady -- even the drive was pleasant -- surprise, surprise. The graces that come through Our Heavenly Mother have no end.

I had been thinking that we need to get out of the house more. What is the benefit of homeschooling if you are constantly stuck at home schooling? It sort of makes me sad that I have not really done this earlier in our homeschooling days. I kept thinking that when the boys got in high school that Faith and I would do more of it. I let the divide (years, personalities, interests) between Noah and Faith keep us from doing fun things, always assuming that what would be fun for one would not be fun for the other. Well, who doesn't like getting away from school for the day even if it's not your very favorite activity? As a result of this great revelation (duh!), I hope to do many more of these trips this school year, since it's Noah's last year at home.

The Shrine to Our Lady of Consolation is located in Carey, Ohio, which is located fairly centrally in Ohio, about halfway between Columbus and Toledo. It wasn't a bad drive, the weather was gorgeous, and like I said, we had graces through Our Lady to lead us on.

The shrine was, sadly for Our Lord and His mother, almost completed deserted. The stained glass windows are being restored, and I suppose it's possible that they are not scheduling any pilgrimages right now. Or maybe because it was Veteran's Day people had activities else where. We were pleased, however, to have the place to ourselves.




We arrived -- taken from the front steps.





Don't you love a dark, quiet church as much as I do?




The main altar


On the left side of the main altar, Our Sorrowful Mother and Jesus in the tomb.








'
My picture of the statue of Our Lady of Consolation (found on the right side of the main altar) is disappointing, but I wanted you to be able to see it anyway. The statue, because it is clothed, is enclosed in glass and the sun was just at the right place in the sky to shine through the stained glass and onto the case. The garments that clothe Our Lady and the Infant Jesus statue are kept in the undercroft in cases -- there are dozens and dozens of matching outfits.



One of the windows that was still in place, and based on the dark colors, I am assuming has not yet been restored.




A nice gentleman asked if he could take our picture. Don't you just love the kind of people who work at and hang out at shrines?





My little peach headed down to the undercroft.




In the undercroft, is another statue of Jesus in the tomb. On this statue, pilgrims have placed their intentions. Receptacles, like the basket shown here, have been placed all over the shrine to hold the special intentions of those who visit.



Because St. Therese is Faith's favorite saint, we stopped for a picture of her statue in the undercroft.




Below the statue of St. Therese is a first class relic. The aspect of the shrine that most interested Noah, to my surprise, was the display in the undercroft of dozens of first class relics. We saw many relics of saints we have studied over the years. What a beautiful thing Our Holy Mother Church does for us in providing these little pieces of sainthood on earth.





Saying goodbye. We purchased a bottle for Holy Water, filled it up and then said goodbye, until another day.


.

7 comments:

  1. This church is absolutely beautiful! Thanks for sharing the photos.

    ~Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your field trip with us. I am not brave enough yet to attempt one with the baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. Thank you for sharing this beautiful Church.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the best kind of homeschooling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely post! It was indeed all good.

    (My favorite part was seeing a photo of my friend.)

    Have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful shrine and such a wonderful field trip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a transplant from Toledo living in New York City I appreciated your photos. I have visited the Shrine and remember well the quotation on the Sorrowful Mother shrine to the left of the main altar. Love to read your blog...miss the peace of Ohio but love St. Patrick's Cathedral here, and homeschooling with so much to see and do. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!