Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Thursday, April 15, 2010

One of Those Weeks

.

Did you have one, too? A week where all the planets aligned to make life as dizzying as it possibly could be.

Besides the normal chaos of being "back to school" after spring break, lots of little stuff happened to throw us completely into a spin. Little things like five-page papers, dental appointments, broken tooth brackets, allergies, colds, taxes (yes, we waited until this week), and the 28th anniversary of my father's death (he got death and taxes on the same day).

Though they are unpleasant, all those things I can deal with. They make me nuts, but mostly they are par for the course.

Sandwiched between the bread of daily life this week, however, was some real meat. Some real food for stress.

I dropped my second-born son off at a weekend live-in at the Pontifical College Josephinum today. And I stressed about it all week.

You see, my son did not exactly volunteer for this little weekend visit. I sort of said, "I would like you to do this."

O.k. True confessions. I actually said, "If you want to go to prom, do this first."

And he said, "O.k."

Joshua is my one son who never said, "Nope, it's not for me" about a vocation to the priesthood. Maybe it's his personality, or maybe he just didn't want to break his old mom's heart, but he always said, "Maybe."

And so, when the postcard arrived in the mail inviting him to this weekend live-in, I pounced like a voracious hawk.

And then came the guilt. Mother guilt. Catholic mother guilt.

And so, yesterday, with visions of my child's lifetime of therapy ahead, I called our parish priest and said, "Did I do this all wrong? Did I really mess this up?"

And he said, "No." Sigh.

He said, "He'll be fine. He'll enjoy himself. And if he hears a call, beautiful. And if he doesn't, he'll know that he at least gave a little listen."

And thus, my Joshua is within the hallowed walls of the seminary tonight, participating in the life of the college seminarian, attending Adoration and Benediction and social hour at the pub (!). And tomorrow he will attend Mass and classes with the men, getting a glimpse at the life of a young seminary student.

I know it's really not even a baby step, but a mother can hope. And pray.

If you need me, I'll be on my knees.




PS If you have an extra prayer, God bless you.

PPS Thank you Matthew, for taking him under your wing. You get many, many extra prayers!
.

6 comments:

  1. I think it sounds wonderful. Good for you giving him that little push. Not even a push, just an opportunity to be quiet and listen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You reminded me of a conversation I had with Jonny this week, so I wrote it up for you. :-)

    In which Jonathan considers the priesthood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i so love this post, barb.
    sounds like you gave him a gentle push. not a shove. there is a difference you know.
    this was so thoughtful and beautiful, from your mother's heart and it is ALL in God's hands anyway-no matter what.
    it is always so amazing to me-as i grow older-how we worry so much when the kids are little-about so many frivolous things. and then before we know it-they are almost grown-and that's when the really big-important life stuff-takes its toll on us mothers.
    today i am going to try and worry a little less. especially with the two littler ones. it is so easy to get caught up in the whirlwind that is raising the bigger kids-that the little ones are left in the dust.

    have a blessed. prayerful. weekend.
    and rest your heart-and all the burdens that weigh so heavily on it-in HIM.

    xo.

    (i am licking my lips from my virtual tiramisu :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prayer for your son..and his great mama too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH, gosh, this is a good post!

    I had a whirlwind of a week too, but different things.

    same feelings though, I think.

    Prayers for you and your son.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a good opportunity for your son! I will keep in my prayers this weekend. And I hope you are feeling less guilty and more peaceful. Your son is in God's hands ... this weekend and always.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!