Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Sunday, April 25, 2010

C'est Fini



Because Faith's First Holy Communion dress and veil became such an all-consuming part of my life in the past few weeks, I felt the need to share the news that it is finished.

Last night I sewed the flowers at the empire waist (it is straight, even though it does not look so in the photo), and this afternoon I gave it the final press and put the very last touch on the dress. I wanted to take something from her Baptismal outfit and put it on the dress, but I couldn't make up my mind what it would be and where it would go. I finally decided on two tiny bows that were on her Baptismal bonnet and I placed them at the top seam at her neck. We'll find a place for them again on her Confirmation dress, and then if she marries, or (God willing) takes a religious vow, we'll place them on her handkerchief. I chose the bows because the Baptismal bonnet was a gift from her Godmother, Jill, and if you've been reading here for a while, you know that means a lot to us.

Even though the dress took a huge chunk of time, and I struggled a lot (that darned zipper!), I am very glad I made it. You'll have to come back to see the entire dress after Faith makes her First Holy Communion next Saturday.


Flowers at the waist.





Fluttery sleeves.





A Baptismal bonnet bow at each side of the neck.




.

13 comments:

  1. I'm glad you finished. The details are beautiful and I love the idea of the bows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, now, you can't just spring baptismal bows on an emotional pregnant woman like that and not expect me to get a little teary! That's just beautiful Barb. And as someone who's godmother died before I could receive any other sacraments, I know it will mean so much to Faith to have those tiny remembrances of Jill with her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a very talented seamstress. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Barb...I can just see her...angelic. And the baptismal bonnet bows...what a sweet and appropriate touch! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh. Wow. I can't wait to see it on her!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barb! It's gorgeous! I can't wait to see it on her. Oh, really...it looks so very very lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. From this sneak peak, I think we can all guess it's gorgeous, beautiful, and so full of meaning! Bravo! St. Anne is proud of you, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! I love how the bows from the baptismal bonnet from her godmother will be with her as she journeys to receive all of the sacraments. That is SO special!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Jenny.

    I do hope so, Charlotte. She will be in our thoughts in any case.

    njl,
    Not really, but I fake it pretty well!

    Thanks Kimberly. I'm trying to keep her from knocking any teeth out this week! ;-)

    Thanks, Sheila.

    Sara,
    She can't wait either!

    Michelle,
    That means a lot. I'll get your pattern back to you right after the weekend.

    Thanks Sarah O. There were lots of prayers!

    Sarah, I hope it brings a special grace to all of her sacraments. I know her Jill is praying for her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the sneak peek and can't wait to see the whole thing. Prayers for you this week as you lounge around enjoying all those free days! HA :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. seriously, you are AWESOME!! love the bows. can you make one for my daughter who just re-tried on her dress (for FC on 5/16) and it is too tight. ugh
    r

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, that is so beautiful, and how special for her to have it made by her mama! A treasure for always!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!