Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Friday, March 26, 2010

On your knees

..

This week I was fortunate to make it to our parish's monthly Eucharistic Adoration -- my Happy Hour. My fellow Catholics of our parish are normally very reverent, but this week I was surprised to not only witness people enter into the church, casually go into a pew and sit, but I also had to focus on my prayers through loud conversation. I was very surprised, and saddened. I always feel I have to apologize to My Lord for my fellow man -- "Father forgive them, they know not what they do."

Instead of just complaining, however, I decided to take this opportunity to instruct the ignorant.

I found this little bit at The Real Presence, Eucharistic Education and Adoration Association:

"Eucharistic Adoration is a very privileged (special) time of prayer. This time of prayer takes place in a Catholic church or chapel. An ordained priest places the Most Blessed Sacrament within a sacred vessel known as a monstrance. The monstrance containing the Real Presence of Jesus in the Most Blessed Sacrament is then place on the altar in exposition for the faithful people of God to adore Jesus. Faithful Catholics leaving and entering a church or chapel during times of Eucharistic Adoration make a double genuflection. This is done facing the monstrance, bending both knees to the point of touching the floor, bowing our head and then raising our body to an upright standing posture."


It goes without saying that while others are in prayer, we should not talk, and make as little sound as possible while praying the rosary, reading a book, and coming in and leaving.

.

7 comments:

  1. Well said Barbara!!!
    We can feel so offended and embarrassed by the insensitive actions of others, that we feel we need to apologize for them.

    It is always a struggle within myself, following such an instance, not to harbor ill feelings toward the "offender(s)." I tend to feel anger when "my" quiet time with Our Lord has been interrupted.
    Thank you so much for the timely, yet gentle, etiquette reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the education! So many people just don't know. I remember my oldest being shocked at the behavior of her fellow Confirmands while on retreat. She just stayed on her knees the whole time in reparation.

    Thanks for the reminder, too. We're lucky enough to have Adoration from 9-9 daily, and I rarely make it. I need to. I'm lucky to have the opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, also for the post. I find myself getting angry at the behavior of people at Mass and I will take these thoughts with me on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is hardly ever a time in our parish church when one can pray in silence. I could assume part of it is because so many of us are (like me)converts from Protestant denominations where this behavior was acceptable but... the worst offenders are the "cradle Catholics". I think I need to pray to become so focused that I hear only that "still, small Voice".

    ReplyDelete
  5. In response to Truthfinder:

    May I defend some of the "cradle Catholics"? Some of us are truly, honestly ignorant. I was never taught anything about adoration as a child. In fact, I only learned about adoration roughly 15 years ago!
    I grew up the the immediate post-Vatican II era, and so many changes were implemented, that many of the beautiful facets of our Faith were lost.
    Most of what I cherish about our Catholic faith I learned as I was teaching my children as we embraced Catholic Home Education. How does that saying go, "The best way to learn is to teach," is it?
    Thanks for reading this, and God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Lori N from MN. You've given me several things to think about, and a possible way of helping!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lori,
    I do always try to assume ignorance, and not sinfulness. Either way, the Spiritual Works of Mercy include instruct the ignorant and admonish the sinner, so I'm covered!

    Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!