Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Monday, February 08, 2010

Woman's Simple Day (evening) book


Outside my window...snow. Mmm, probably about 8 inches, maybe more. More forecast for tonight -- a storm that is supposed to last until Wednesday. Not much by northern standards, but it should fairly well cripple this city unless it comes down really slowly.

I am thinking...about making some big changes in our days -- more discipline, more structure. I feel like my kids have taken a mile (I gave them an inch...). I need to seriously pull back on the reigns in order to get back to a good place, a good flow for our days during the week, as well as on the weekend.

I am thankful for...short winter days and long winter nights. And snuggling.

From the learning rooms...trouble in River City. I smell a crackdown. I need to be on top of every lesson -- something I have trouble forcing myself to do. Of course, I prefer that the children show some self control and self-start. But, they are having a hard time doing that right now, so we will huddle up and write some new plays.

From the kitchen...tonight was a mediocre Chinese meal. Tomorrow -- roast chicken, Greek pasta, homemade bread. I can almost smell it. (Yes, I know I'm not following my own menu, but the chicken is thawed today.)

I am wearing...a new pink nightgown and my white bathrobe. I've had my shower for the night and am ready for bed.

I am creating...a couple of rosary bracelets, and I just bought these darling patterns that I plan to stitch and frame --
in shades of pink and green --for Faith's bedroom makeover. They are just too cute.

I am reading...Sarah's Key.

I am hoping...for a good week and looking forward to a weekend filled with love (and maybe a little romance).

I am hearing...
Bill O'Reilly -- he's doing a rundown on the Superbowl ads. I thought they were all pretty stupid and I think it's sad how much money is wasted.

Around the house... a huge basket of ironing that I'm going to ignore for another day. I have Joshua's lunch to pack tonight and then I'm calling it a day.

One of my favorite things...a long winter's night ahead.

A few plans for the rest of the week...the feast of Our Lady of Lourdes on Thursday, a black tie event on Saturday, and Valentine's Day on Sunday. Maybe I'll get to paint a bedroom Fairest of All pink in between.

A picture thought...The kids on top of the big pile of snow the plow made on Saturday. We live in a cul de sac and there is just no place for it to go, so it's in front of our house. Noah was playing out there in shorts. My husband would probably say he's made from tough German stock, but I say his thermostat is broken. Crazy kid.



A lingering thought...from today's Divine Intimacy (mine is 1961 edition):

"St. John of the Cross compares the soul to a glass window with a ray of sunlight shining on it, If the glass is dirty, 'the ray cannot illuminate it, nor transform it completely into its light; its illumination will be in proportion to its clearness. If, on the other hand, it is absolutely clean and spotless, it will be illuminated and transformed in such a way as to appear to be the luminous ray itself, and to give the same light' (ASII, 5, 6). "



5 comments:

  1. Lovely daybook, Barbara. That quote from John of the Cross jumped out at me too, and stays lingering in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're reading Sarah's Key, does that mean you finished Betsy?

    We're having to crack down in school, too. I hate getting to that point where you realized you've been slacking and they've taken full advantage. Lessons not done; lessons not graded. Blah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to crack down last week too. Lots of threats of grounding and actually having to do it. Sigh. I am hoping this week I won't have to be such a tyrant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got Sarah's Key sitting here waiting for my attention. Let me knkow how you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can relate to what you've been thinking about: more discipline, more structure ... We're so lacking in this area, due to our transitions. Ya gotta give them a little room to adjust. But at some point, we just need to start living normally again, which means not letting things slide. Ugh!

    And that quote from St. John of the Cross is beautiful. I always appreciate when you quote from that special book!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!