Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Snow Days

I get so frustrated during my weekdays because of the many things I can't get done while we are schooling. Yes, I can throw a load of laundry in, or even bake a loaf of bread, but I have to do my work in small bits of time, returning to the school table constantly to give one of the children my attention.

It's not until we have a free weekday that I realize that home schooling is really my full-time job. Just like moms who work away from the home, most of my heavy work has to be done after school or in the evenings or on weekends.

We've had two snow days this week (yes, because we are a mixed family -- one in high school and two younger at home -- we take off on snow days ), and I was amazed at how much I was able to get done. I know the business industry bemoans winter weather for the loss of productivity, but I am fortunate that my "second job" is at home. I was more productive in the last two snow days that I've been in weeks.

Besides what I do in a normal day (making beds and tidying up), in my spare time I:

knit one sweater sleeve

dusted four rooms

swept six rooms

baked three loaves of bread

painted four bedroom walls Fairest of them All pink (actually there are six walls in her room since I'm counting)

ironed for 5 hours

baked and frosted a dozen cupcakes

removed about 40 DVDs from their jackets and put them in DVD books

washed, dried and put away 9 loads of laundry



I think I'm tired now. I'll see you tomorrow.


.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you are amazing. I would be exhausted and I don't think I would be nearly as productive!

    We take off on snowdays, too, if only because the snow only lasts 3 hours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ow! "Ironed.for.five.HOURS."! I'm ashamed to admit, I've given every piece of clothing that requires ironing to charity. :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!