Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Friday, February 05, 2010

Seven Quick Takes Friday

~1~

At the top of the news, weather coming. Even though Ohio is technically in the north, central Ohio doesn't get enough deep snow to get used to it. So, when six inches are in the forecast, people get really lathered up. Yesterday they were predicting it would start overnight, but it didn't. And now the children are all at school, including my high schooler. So, I predict that halfway through the day the schools will all hit the panic button and parents will have to leave work, clogging every major artery in town, resulting in accidents everywhere, and they'll end up arriving at school about the time they'd normally dismiss. I'm such a pessimist. ;-)



The view out my kitchen window at noon.


~2~

After Mass this morning, I dictated a quick grocery list to Noah in the car (and you know I forgot half of what I really need). We stopped on the way home and the store was packed with people, eyes glazed over, pushing carts back and forth across the store. It was either from the above-mentioned storm, or the big game this weekend, or most likely, a combination of the two. The only thing I really worried about getting were the ingredients for all the yummy treats we'll have to eat for the game. We're all Saints fans here, I think, although I can't say I really care, or will even watch the game. I'm hoping to steal away to a quiet room and snuggle up with a new book.


~3~

And speaking of stealing away, the prospect of being a) cooped up in the house with all the kids or b) cleaning up the mess from dozens of trips outdoors makes me want to hide away in my bedroom with a perpetual glass of red wine. But, since I can't have red wine, I'm left with hot water and honey, for which I'll have to come out for hot water occasionally. Drats.


~4~

On this weekend's schedule is wallpaper stripping in Peach's bedroom. I have ordered and tucked away for later this month the quilt and sham, bookcase, baskets, and a canopy (oh, so, girlie!). We chose a color -- "Fairest of Them All" pink for Her Royal Highness, but I still have to choose the floor -- carpet is so dang expensive -- and wall stickers, and a dust ruffle, paint the room, shelves, and wood trim. Her birthday is in 12 days. I don't think I'm going to make it.


~5~

I visited at a girlfriend's house last week and her home was so neat and tidy that I got a bee in my bonnet when I came home (good thing something inspired me!). She had her children's school books in clear plastic tubs lined up neatly under a sofa table near the kitchen, making me thing twice about our bookshelves. The workbooks never stand up by themselves, and so the shelf is always in disarray. For less than $3 each, I picked up some clear plastic magazine boxes (Target), and now they stand neatly in the shelf, even when half the books have been removed. And we can just set the magazine boxes on their backs on the table and slide the workbooks in and out.


~6~

Have I told you that I'm a slow learner? We've been homeschooling for seven years, and for seven years I've been hunting for a pencil, stapler, stickers, calculator, etc. every single day. Grading papers? Gotta find the calculator and stickers. Working on math problems? Need a pencil. I never have my tools with me. So this week I made a tool bag. Yup. A plastic zipper bag, with all my tools.




Link
~7~

Happy Feast of St. Agatha, virgin and martyr. I haven't read the children her story yet, but I'm anxious to see what their reaction might be. The image of her having her breasts cut off is very, um, disturbing. Much like the image of St. John the Baptist's head on a platter. After the Gospel this morning, Noah leaned over and whispered "that is the most disturbing reading." Yes, most disturbing. I'm certain St. John would agree. You can make some breast cakes today. No? How about some nice St. Agatha bread. I think I'll use this recipe, which makes a nice round, white loaf resembling a... Just kidding.

Happy weekend.

3 comments:

  1. I love your view you always give us from your kitchen window!

    Maybe if you don't make 2 loaves...it will be ok?

    ReplyDelete
  2. love that kitchen view too.
    we went in search of some of that white stuff today. and boy were we a jumble of wet. cold. muddy. messes. so i totally understand that.

    and i have to CONFESS that i've got you beat-after 10 years of homeschooling-i am still learning. there are so many things i would do differently. and am doing differently. all of the time. i feel so fickle. but really schooling changes with life. and these teen years have REALLY thrown me for a loop!

    so, no breast shaped cookies for the feast day, eh?
    that wouldn't count as scandalizing the boys, would it? 'cause i saw someone who made boob cookies for breastfeeding mothers. i couldn't really imagine eating them....

    happy reading this weekend. too bad you can't have just a wee bit of wine...
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the solution you came up with for your bookshelves! It always feels so good to finally find something that works, doesn't it?!

    Enjoy your snowy weekend =)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!