Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Thursday, February 04, 2010

Alrighty Then

.

Yesterday, I was too serious? Or you didn't know what the heck I was talking about? O.k., well back to my corner I go.

Just kidding.

Today I have a funny (I think) to share.

Last evening, our parish held an informational meeting about First Confession (they call it Reconciliation, I call it Confession) and First Holy Communion (they call it Eucharist, I call it Holy Communion).

Sadly, there were only about 20 parents, and only a few knew each other.

The director of religious ed. started the meeting by asking questions to which no one wanted to offer an answer. Almost every question was answered with stony stares. So when she asked "Who remembers their own First Holy Communion?" (and only one other raised his hand -- come on, you are all much younger than I), I put mine up (yes, I remember mine almost 40 years ago!).

The director asked what did I remember about mine.

I said, "When I made my First Holy Communion, we all knelt at the rail."

And she said, "Oh...my...well...um...I didn't know anyone here was that...um...well...yes."

Yes, I am that old. Thank you.

I'm not wearin' this gray hair for nothin'.


.

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhhhh,you're not old, you are blessed...to have been part of the Mass back then (way back then)

    High five to you! I also call it "Confession" and "First Communion"!

    I made my first Communion in the 70's and the people in charge then encouraged the girls to wear "whatever they wanted" and to stray away from the White dresses...so I wore a mint green dress. Kind of sad, I think. My mom doesn't even have any pictures of the special day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED your post on "fragile sort". I am not sure if we have cabin fever here in my home or why the kids are picking on each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i dont remember my first communion, but i do have the dress and the girls use it as dress up (minus the huge hoop that went under it). btw, you wear the age well ;)
    r

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember my first communion and my oldest 2 girls have worn my dress. (I love traditions like that, I even wore my mother's wedding gown when I got married.) I can't wait for my 5 year old to wear the dress too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just to make you feel like a kid, I recall my First Communion 64 years ago! Yes, 64 years ago. I was eleven years old. We wore beautiful white dresses, long white stockings and white shoes and long veils and we were a class of about ten girls and ten boys. It really was quite an experience and I also feel very blessed to have lived during this time of wonderful respect for Our Lord in the Mass! Love your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Jamie, You're too sweet!
    I can't imagine why church officials would have discouraged white dresses. I think it's sad too. :-(

    Thanks, Christine. Maybe it is a little cabin fever.

    Thanks Regina -- you're very kind! My dress is upstairs in my closet, but I've never let Peach wear it. I think it's too small. It looks pretty little though I don't know that I was particularly tiny!

    Jenny,
    I am planning to make Peach's dress. I received my First Holy Communion in 1970 and my dress looks like it!

    Anonymous,
    Thank you for sharing! Yes, it was a different time, wasn't it? Though our parish is very reverent, there was nothing like everyone kneeling before the rail -- and all taking on the tongue. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember my First Communion. I too wore a pretty white dress, handmade by my Grandmother. I also knelt at the Communion Rail to receive Our Lord for the first time.

    That was in 1985. I am certain that our parish was one of the last in the Archdiocese of Detroit to still use the Communion Rail. Sadly, a few years later, they quit using it.

    I look forward to the day my children receive their First Communion. I am thinking of using part of my wedding dress to make the dress for the girls. (And another part of my dress to make vestments for a much hope and prayed for, God Willing, Priest-Son!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Barbara! I, too, remember my First Communion, in 1968. I didn't kneel at a communion rail, however; my dad was in grad school at WVU & all people attached to the univ. had to go to St. John's, which was modern & guitarish...LOL. I did wear a white dress & veil, though. My youngest is also receiving her First Communion this year. She is 9 & in 3rd grade--because of the parental noncare that you mentioned in your post, many children need 2 years to prepare nowadays. This has been a real point of contention with Olivia...that her 2 older sisters & brother all made their communions at earlier ages!!! Signs of the times... --Laura

    ReplyDelete
  10. Barbara, my 96 year old grandmother remembers her First Holy Communion and that her mom made the dress.

    I am so thankful we have the Latin mass here where we can receive at the altar rail and everyone receives on the tongue.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!