Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Simple Woman's Daybook

Outside my window...blue morning light, cold temperatures -- about 8 degrees F right now. We've had snow on the ground for quite a while, but today it's supposed to get up to 33, and tomorrow maybe high 30s, so it might start to melt. I'm ready for spring. Ha!

I am thinking...about my brother -- he is having a basal cell carcinoma removed today. Praying it's not too deep.

I am thankful for...no more burning in the fingers of my right hand. I prepared a mango salsa last night to eat with dinner and I (stupidly) removed the seeds of the jalapeno with my fingers. I have diced a lot of jalapenos in my day, and never had burning fingers, but this pepper was one hot mama! I didn't fall asleep until almost 1 a.m., and then it was with a death grip on an ice pack. I had tried lime juice, alcohol, milk, oil, and Ajax and nothing worked to remove the oil. Never again! I'm buying gloves. It's kind of scary to think what those do to your digestive tract.

From the learning rooms...today is our P.E. day -- gym for Noah and gymnastics for Peach, so the learning day is shortened to necessities -- it's a nice mid-week break. Still working on that change of scenery, just can't figure out what it might be.

From the kitchen...Munch Crunchy Corn Dog Muffins for lunch and meatloaf with brown mushroom gravy, mashed potatoes and green beans for dinner.

I am wearing...blue jeans, a black polar fleece Henley-style shirt (it's on sale now and it's soooo warm), my Haflinger clogs and Our Lady of Guadalupe earrings. I got my hair cut Saturday and now my ears show.

I am creating...still working on that sweater for Peach. I almost finished the back of the first one, then decided the rip it apart because it looked too big. I was modifying a pattern and wasn't doing a very good job. The pattern called for a chunky yarn, but after looking all over for it, and then finding it didn't come in white anyway, I decided to double the yarn I was using and start over. So far so good, and it goes so much faster with double yarn. I also need to finish a sweet little purple and yellow baby quilt.

I am going...to P.E. today. I spend the day in the car going back and forth to deliver and pick up, and the kids get a work-out!

I am reading...nothing and too much. I have about three, maybe four books started yet I haven't had time to read anything on a daily basis. Last night I was looking at Cooking Light while my fingers were wrapped in cold cloths.

I am hoping...for a peaceful week end and weekend -- we need some down time, all of us.

I am hearing...the bubble of the fish tank and the furnace running.

Around the house...washing sheets today; cleaning bathrooms; regular laundry and ironing. I've been scheduling my housework -- and everything else -- (as I resolved) and so far, so good. I've done everything I scheduled and I'm happy. I use this schedule daily (I think I found it at Elizabeth Foss's blog) and it works well for me.

One of my favorite things...blueberry jam on whole wheat toast and thick Greek yogurt -- my breakfast!

A few plans for the rest of the week...wrap up our first week back and slide into the weekend -- no plans. Hallelujah!

A lingering thought...from today's Magnificat:

"Each, according to his ability and inclination, must devote himself to interior prayer, and this with neither strife nor violence, and keep himself quietly in God’s holy presence, turning to him from time to time with some interior act of adoration, repentance, trust, and love. If such an act cannot be performed, be content with the earnest wish to perform it; for, in good as in evil, the desire with God is equivalent to the deed." -- Father Jean-Pierre de Caussade, S.J.


I like to think I rise above the standard of intent to pray, but then sometimes life happens. It's good to know that God appreciates the intent.




A picture thought (or two)...



Creek hockey -- they really want to make it work, even talked dad into buying a goal, but the creek is just not smooth enough. With slightly warmer temps this week the creek will probably thaw too much. :-(



Maggie the snow pup. She's getting really big and her fur is long and swirly. She loves the cold weather.





5 comments:

  1. I thought of you at the grocery last night when I saw Greek yogurt on sale 10 for $10 at Kroger. Maybe your local Kroger has it on sale too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That snow looks like fun! I know it's cold but I long for the mornings where I can wrap up in a blanket on the sofa whilst drinking my hot coffee and reading a book and/or morning prayers. ;) Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OUCH...that hot pepper story sounds ouchy. Not even AJAX huh??? Becareful next time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Barbara...I LOVE the new picture! I'm the same way with my reading these days...I've started two books...haven't picked them up in several days...sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the new header, Barbara! It's so cheery and wintery! I hope your fingers are feeling better ... OUCH! The sweater sounds pretty. I'd love to see the final result. And I keep meaning to try those corn-dog muffins. I think my kids would *love* them—something different in their lunch boxes, too!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!