Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Friday, October 16, 2009

Seven Quick Takes

.

Better late than never, eh? I started this yesterday, but we had a day -- a good day, but a day nevertheless. I'm forever trying to cram too much in the minutes of every day. Below is a mishmash of thoughts in my head.



I was laying in bed Thursday night when a thought came to create an altar to the Sacred Heart of Jesus in our home. We have a picture hanging in the upstairs, but we just moved some furniture around and I was thinking about a small spot in my living room where I had some space. Friday morning, I realized it was the feast of St. Margaret Mary Alacoque and decided it was providential that I had been thinking about an altar. It was probably subconscious thought that led me there, but God gave us subconscious thought, so I give Him all credit. After doing a little school yesterday morning, the kids and I headed out to pick up what we needed and then to the Catholic bookstore for a statue. Last evening we made an Act of Consecration to the Sacred Heart.




~~~~~~~~

The leaves are looking beautiful in Ohio now. I think we are about at peak color. It's such a pleasure to drive around when everywhere you look, gorgeous colors are exploding in the trees and bushes. It never ceases to amaze me that the scientific community continually explains the changing of the leaves, when we all know that the real reason that our world is filled with beautiful scenery is that God loves us so.

This is the scene in the side yard from where I stand waiting for the puppy to potty.



~~~~~~~~

I turned on a scary movie last night for Doug and I to watch -- The Haunting in Connecticut. It's supposedly based on a true story (loosely based) and I must have read something which intrigued me because I reserved it from the library (although I often reserve movies and then have no idea why). I made it through about 20 minutes and then I had to turn it off. I guess I'm too old for scary movies.

~~~~~~~~


When you switch your summer and winter clothes, hang the cold weather clothes with the hangers backwards on the rod. When you wear an item, turn the hanger around. If you make it through the winter without turning an item around, get rid of it. Now is a good time to pack away the summer things you didn't wear and give them to the St. Vincent de Paul society.


~~~~~~~~


Crayon art time again. I never think to do this project except in the fall -- I guess I like the bright reds, yellows and oranges in the crayon box best. You can do this with the shape of leaves and apples, as well as pumpkins. Just sandwich crayon shavings between two sheets of wax paper (use an old towel to protect your iron and ironing board cover), iron lightly until shavings are melted and then staple the sheet between two sheets of construction paper with a shape cut out of the middle. Trim the wax paper edges. This is Peach's but she had me do the cutting and she did the ironing.

I remember doing this with the sisters when I was in grade school.


~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've been baking lots of pumpkin dishes -- if you're in the mood, some of my recipes can be found here.


~~~~~~~~~~~


I am so very sad about the family that (it appears) played a pretty nasty trick on America the other day. When Peach was thought to be missing a few weeks ago, I was so touched by the response we got from local police. They did not, for a moment, act as though we had any thing other than a missing child. They were serious and professional. But, if the family with the balloon were putting on a show on Thursday (and I just don't think a six-year-old is going to think to grab some snacks and drinks when he's running to hide from his father), they contribute to the doubt that law enforcement professionals experience when they answer a call for help. Shame on them. Shame! How many lives those people disrupted -- how many people took unnecessary risks? Such a pity.




That's all folks. I hope you have a glorious fall weekend. Go breathe some of God's fresh air and soak up the scenery -- it's FREE!


Jen has more Seven Quick Takes.
.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the great quick takes!
    I agree- the color in OH has been so pretty this year. I just love it. Mmm fall!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!