Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Sunday, October 04, 2009

20 minutes in hell

.

Have you ever wondered what hell is like?

If you are a parent, I can tell you that hell is when you can not find your child.

Last night Peach was missing. Though I never measured the time, it was probably no more than 20 minutes, 25 top, but if you are a parent, you know that 20 minutes spent knowing your child is missing is an eternity. More than 5 seconds missing is years off your life. Heart failure.

The story goes:

While I was making dinner -- a late dinner because we went to evening Mass -- the kids were all busy doing something, excited for the Buckeye game which was about to begin, and Doug was in the basement working on replacing my dryer vent -- all of us preoccupied with something, Peach asked if she could go next door. Our newlywed neighbors were babysitting his young nieces for the weekend and the girls had been back and forth between houses since Friday afternoon. Distractedly, I said, "sure, dinner will be soon" just to warn her that she couldn't be there for long.

Mistake #1: though our neighbor's front door is only 10 yards from ours, I did not confirm that she made it there.

When dinner was ready, about 15 to 20 minutes later, I went outside and yelled for her. She didn't answer, so I walked next door and noticed that their front door was closed (when they are home, usually their glass door is closed but the front door is open). I rang the doorbell and when no one answered I came back home, perplexed. Maybe she had found them not home and came back indoors without me noticing. I yelled in the house for her. No answer. I yelled down to Doug to see if she knew where she was, but he did not.

That is the moment at which I panicked. The girls had been playing in the creek earlier in the day. What if she went down there alone. It was almost dark out. I headed out the back door and down the steps to the creek, yelling her name. I looked up and down the creek but nothing moved. No color could be seen and she had been wearing a bright blue dress and a magenta jacket.

I ran back in the house and yelled to Doug that she was missing. He came running up the basement stairs. "She's not next door?"

"No one is answering, I don't think they're home."

"Did she fall asleep somewhere?" She had been sleepy at Mass. The boys went upstairs to check all the bedrooms. No sleeping girl anywhere.

Doug headed next door. He banged on the door loudly, but no one answered.

He headed down the street to another neighbor's where she sometimes played with the dog. I yelled, "I'm calling 911."

After talking to the operator and giving a description of my daughter (a surreal experience), Doug came back from checking down the street with no luck. No one had seen her. Her bike was laying at the end of the driveway and she had vanished. By this time it was dark, just minutes after I realized she was missing.

We headed next door again, he around one side of he house and me around the other. When we got to the backyard I noticed their basement lights on. I yelled over to Doug, "Do you think they could be in the basement and not hear the door?" I didn't know how that was possible as hard as Doug had knocked and I had repeatedly rang the bell. He banged on the window to the basement, but after a few minutes, nothing happened. I rang the bell again -- over and over. I looked at the knob. And walked off the porch.

Mistake #2: I should have tried the knob. Although we don't have that kind of familiar relationship with our neighbors, I should have tried the knob.

Doug called them on the phone, both their land line and his cell phone. No answer. I called one more neighbor, but no, they had not seen her.

By this time there were three police cruisers in our little cul de sac. It looked like a bank robbery. One officer said there were six more cruisers looking for her in the area. He asked if he could come in and look for her inside, a question that sent chills up my spine. We came inside and went down to the basement. He looked around and asked if she had any special hiding places, to which I responded, "No, not that I know of." We had been in the basement only a minute or so when he heard on his radio they found her. "They found her? Where?" In my mind I'm thinking a cruiser found her, possibly blocks away. He said, "I don't know, let's go back outside."

When we got outdoors, Peach was standing at the end of our neighbor's driveway, crying in Doug's arms. She had walked out the neighbor's door right into the "crime" scene, surrounded by five police officers, her worried father, and a concerned neighbor. She immediately started crying.

Apparently our neighbors and the girls had all been down in their finished basement, with the football game on, and did not hear any of the commotion. For some reason, unknown to us still, one of the adults decided it was probably time for Peach to go home and so she did.

It took about three hours for my heart rate to return to normal.



No one person was at fault in this unfortunate event, but we certainly learned some valuable truths.



The first truth is, no one but you can be truly responsible for your child. You can't expect other people to think like you do and when you start to expect it, you're mistaken. Doug and I would never have done what our neighbors did -- take everyone to the basement and become so engrossed in something that we could not hear the outside world, not even answering the phone. That doesn't make it wrong, but it means they do things too differently for our comfort. I don't think we'll make that mistake again.

The second truth is, rely on those you know you can rely on. I called 911 after we looked for only maybe 10 minutes. But, something was nagging at me -- don't waste any more time. I'm sure the police answer calls for missing children a lot, when in all likelihood, the child is just misplaced. But they came in full force, no questions asked. We could have gone door-to-door and asked all our neighbors to help, but remote bystanders really can not be relied upon. They don't have your child's best interest at heart.

The third truth is, no child is safe, really. I have always been overly cautious with my children, but as my oldest child grew up and my youngest child no longer needed to be watched every single minute, I relaxed a little. No parent can relax in today's society. You have to assume that there is danger every where, because it is. While we live in a very safe (a relative term), quiet neighborhood, my daughter being abducted was just as possible as what really happened. She could have been miles away by the time I noticed her gone.



.

19 comments:

  1. I am so sorry you had to endure that 20 minutes of hell on earth and am offering prayers of thanksgiving that all turned out fine. Thank you for the excellent reminder... our children are our most precious treasures and their safety should always come before our convenience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara, I am so sorry this happened to you. How scary! For all of you. I am glad that everything turned out OK. Thanks for the reminders to always be on guard, every second of every day. We really can never be too careful, can we? God bless you, and may He give you much peace today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank God all turned out alright. I would have lost my mind . . . and called 911 as well. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! My heartrate was up just reading about this! I'm so glad she's ok! My children get so angry at me someones when I make them stay inside (if I'm busy and can't keep an eye on them outside)! My son wants to ride his bike down to the neigbor kids yars...about 30 feet away. I ALWAYS tell him NO!
    Oh Barbara, thank you for reminding me that as parents, we must be diligent at every moment and not let our guard down!
    Blessings to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My worse nightmare. I lived through this once over 24 years ago with my now 26dd. She was 2 and while I unloaded groceries she followed a puppy. She was found 1 1/2 miles away on a very busy intersection. Now I live miles from town, and I still have a hard time letting my kids out of my sight. Thank God nothing happened to her. Sending some hugs and prayers...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Lord, how scary! Thank God that Peach was safe and that it all came out fine in the end. You (and your instincts) are absolutely correct. We are the only ones who are responsible for our children. (We lost Francie at Disney World once, when she was 2 and was supposed to be standing with my in-laws. SCARY)
    Thanks for the reminders!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have tears in my eyes because I know what you went through. Same thing happened to my princess. We hadn't called the police yet, the whole family was out to search the neighborhood first. Other kids playing outside insisted she was at her friend's house even though we had pounded on the door too. Yep. In the basement, too many tvs on to hear the phone or doorbell.

    It's soooo scary. I'm glad she's safe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My heart goes out to you and of course I understand completely. My little hurricane went missing when we were over at my friend Tina's house. She has a creek behind her house.

    (Have I told you this story before?)

    Frantic, I rushed out the sliding glass door without thinking to open it first. Bam! Just a bird on a window.

    It turned out that Angela was playing quietly in a bedroom. All's well that ends well, but admittedly my nose was sore for the rest of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Correction: Just like a bird on a window.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am glad all is well and you have recovered from it. We had a similar experience with my oldest last Christmas and time stands still when that happens. Everything turned out fine, but that loss of control and fear can be crippling.

    I hope the week is uneventful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Barbara,

    I had a very similar experience with my own daughter when she was 5. It was the most terrifying 20 minutes of my life. She was hidden in her own room, asleep beneath a huge board book. We had called her repeatedly standing only a few feet from her. I think it took me days to recover from the experience. God bless you in your motherhood. It made me realize just how precious their lives are.

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  12. when a mama cares, like you do, you can't help but think the worst. i always think the worst. which is why i so rarely let the kids out of my sight. but there are times when we do get distracted and let our guard down. it is only natural when you spend so much time with them. i am just glad that her guardian angel kept her safe and i really praise your police force for acting so quickly. i think i have learned the hard way that no one cares about your kids the way you do. so in a situation like that i would say maybe she is too little to be out and about. but then it is hard when they want to venture out more. the sword pierces our hearts too in many ways, doesn't it, barb? God bless you and grant you an uneventful week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Barbara, my heart is pounding hard as I've just read your account of a missing child, your peach. My how easily it is to revisit such fear myself, three times, one with a 10yo who went missing from my side at Expo86 crowded event. Gosh, no one can even understand until it happens to them. The love of a mother knows no boundaries, I pray you never have to revisit this 20 minutes of hell ever again. Hugs Barbara!!! <3 Blessings to you this day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, Barb!! May God bless your heart...

    Yes...I've been through it. Twenty minutes. Police cruisers. That horrible fear...there's nothing quite like it, is there? Hell...yes. That is hell for a parent...the grace in my own experience was this: I never really related well to our Lady's suffering when the Child Jesus was missing for three days. THREE DAYS!!! I nearly crumbled over the course of a few minutes...never have I beseeched heaven more fervently than at that time...

    Thanking God for you. For His mercy in giving such a happy resolution. God is good...

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a horrible feeling... that gut sinking to your feet, blood draining. Yep, I've been there and stopped a department store cold with the panic in my extremely raised voice yelling my child's name. I was on a warpath too because every imaginable fear was running through my mind and I probably would have killed the person that took my child (had that been the scenario). Thankfully it wasn't and thankfully all turned out well.

    I'm so thankful that your little one was found safe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, this is indeed a wake-up call (for me). I'm quick to shoo my two older ones out to play with the neighbors under the "safe neighborhood" veil.

    I can't imagine...

    Thank you for sharing this story.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, my, I think we can all relate and done the exact same thing!!! What a nightmare. So very true too. Babycakes (Angela) likes to not answer when we call her or look for her and more than once she's "disappeared" for only a few minutes, but it's a awful, awful feeling and the whole house is looking for her!!

    My little brother (16 years younger than me) used to hide on purpose and one time after the whole house was histerical and ready to phone the police, I noticed his shoes under the coat hooks, he was hiding in the coats!!! (listening to us all panicing!)

    Great post, thank God Peach is ok!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hell on earth is right, as Matilda said! I'm so glad it all turned out OK. You're right--we CAN'T relax. Not really. Not ever.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh no, my heart was racing as I was reading. How scary for everyone. So glad she is safe and sound. HUGS

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!