Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Monday, October 19, 2009

Monday, Monday, can't trust that day

.

Is it Monday...already? I feel like I lost my weekend. Have you seen it?

Peach woke up at 6:30 Saturday morning barfing (sorry -- you weren't eating were you?). She continued all day and developed a fever in the afternoon. I'm pretty sure there is nothing so sad as a child with fever (and barfing on top of it) -- her pale hair spread out on the pillow, with bright pink cheeks and glassy eyes. What a sight to evoke maternal pity.

By 2 o'clock Saturday afternoon, Doug called to cancel dinner plans with friends and by dinner time, we decided that she needed a suppository (thank goodness we had one on-hand and a refill on the prescription). Peach was not too happy about it, but I think had had enough. I revealed to her that she and I would watch a movie in mommy's bed (a distraction), and so I set her all up with pillows and blankets and started the movie. I told her I was going to put the suppository in so she would stop throwing up and her eyes got huge in her face and she said, "I'm going to stop growing up now?" I laughed out loud and she just stared at me. Her expression revealed she truly believed I was going to do something to her to make her stop growing. I'm not sure what that says about her belief in my ability to mother properly.

She went to bed last night fever-free and was somewhat dismayed to learn that, yes, she would still have to do school in the morning. I guess she was feeling that she lost her weekend, too.

Every other day, every other day,
Every other day of the week is fine, yeah
But whenever Monday comes, but whenever Monday comes
You can find me cryin' all of the time.


.

11 comments:

  1. I am a lurker who enjoys your blog very much. I just wanted to tell you that you can ask the pharmacist to make that medicine in a gel that you rub on your wrists. (My father is a pharmacist and he sends me a fresh supply every 6 months)Believe me, it is a much better option!

    Thank you for such a lovely blog. I enjoy visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does that make you stop tossing your cookies and kill nausea? I've always heard suppository, but never bothered to ask or look it up for its meaning. I feel sick today myself. Ugh. Hope she truly is on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Peach! I am glad she is feeling better. Have a happy (and healthy!) Monday =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny -- you are a gem! I'll be asking about that. How great to have your dad as your own pharmacist!

    Sarah -- yes, it's a medication that stops the vomiting that you have to put in the, you know.

    Thank you, Sarah. Peach declared herself "all better!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay...the vomiting part is not funny...not at all...but the "I'm going to stop growing up" part is hilarious! :))) I'm so happy to read that Peach has declared herself all better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hope she is feeling better! i think all buckeye fans were throwing up on saturday ;)
    r

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Cheryl, And I don't know if it was funny or sad that the poor little thing was going to let me do it anyway!

    Regina -- or crying in their beers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's not a very nice weekend. I'm glad she's feeling better now. We've never had to go the suppository route. Ewwww.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All I can say is ahhhhhhhhh, I'm sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry to hear Peach was ill but glad she's feeling much better now.

    Love the story about *not growing up*. So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  11. poor peach.
    i am sure she is gonna love reminiscing about that one if she ever reads this blog someday....
    the wrist rub thing definitely sounds like a better alternative!

    and for the record: i never trust mondays either!

    wishing and a prayin' for good health to you and yours, barb.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!