Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Close call

.
We had our first H1N1 scare this week, but we made it out alive! Kidding, but seriously, we thought we had one.

Joshua (high school boy) had to go on an overnight retreat Monday (a very stupid mandatory diocesan rule -- excuse me but it is) . He woke up with a scratchy throat that I knew was only going to turn into something worse over the course of the day. At my mention of not going, however, his father poo-pooed me, and Josh adamantly said he was going (the above-mentioned stupid diocesan rule is so strict that if you miss your own school's retreat you have to go to another school's retreat -- where you don't know a soul, which you know is a high school kid's worst nightmare).

By lunch time Monday, he texted me that he was feeling hot, and by mid-afternoon he was achy. Oh boy. I called the teacher who was on the trip and talked about how he was feeling. But Josh is the kind of kid who won't say crap if he has a mouthful, and when asked by the teacher, he said he was "o.k." Texts to me, however, revealed that he felt pretty badly.

In the evening, I suggested to Doug that we make the four-hour round trip to get him. But, after much debate and another conversation with the teacher, we decided to let him finish the trip. Josh texted me that he was shivering, however, and I know he had a fever (no one on the trip had a thermometer -- ugh!). I hardly slept, wondering all night if he was o.k.

First thing Tuesday morning, I called our pediatrician's office and spoke with the nurse. She told me if he has a flu it would be the H1N1 because it's much too early for the seasonal flu, which they don't usually start seeing until January. She asked me to bring him in after he returned from his trip and they would do a quick test.

When I picked him up I could see that he didn't look like he had the flu -- he was much to perky --but we headed to the doctor's office any way. The good news is, no flu, just a bad cold and fever. The other good news is, they can test for both the seasonal and H1N1, which I find very comforting. I'm a quarantine kind of mom, so if Josh had the flu, we would have tucked him away in his room for a week, with no contact except me.

Our pediatrician said he is seeing several cases of H1N1 every day (his exact words were "it's all over the place") and the children he is seeing are very sick. The boys get their seasonal flu shot on Monday and the H1N1 when it becomes available, and I get one ASAP. This was a close call. Unfortunately my mother's intuition was a little off (do all mother's always imagine the worst possible outcome? Come on -- fess up!).

.

11 comments:

  1. Just to let you know, my daughter had H1N1 (confirmed by doctor) and it really was not that bad. She was sick for 2 days, and then had a few more days of not feeling well. None of the rest of us caught it. She had been on a class retreat and came home with it. (Funny how that goes, isn't it?) Many kids in her class got it, and none of them were all that sick. Just to say, even if you get it, it may not be all that bad. I still hope you don't, of course! I just wanted to say that not every experience is scary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheila,
    I'm glad to hear your experience was not so bad. Our pediatrician looked at Joshua when he walked in the room and said, "I can tell by looking at you that you don't have the flu. The kids I've seen with it look like they've been hit by a bus." Of course, he did the test any way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just posted that we're going to get the H1N1 for sure. All of the differing flu stink to get. But the H1N1 is supposed to be really bad if your immune system is in any way compromised . . . and then, many kids are healthy and go down for the count. I can't risk it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still on the fence about the shot, but I also am worried about my kids getting sick—this year especially. My 4-year-old has a mild fever today, but she's playing around like normal. My son still has a bad cough, after Croup last week ... There's so much hype about H1N1, that it's hard to know what to believe ... My aunt, who's a nurse, is concerned about the vaccine ... I have friends that have all the reasons why it's good to get it ... Ugh! What to do??? And yes, I always assume the worst as a mom. But thank goodness for my husband who is a bit more level-headed! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being that I am pregnant I am totally freaking out about this H1N1 flu. Scares me!!

    Love the hat you made. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI Sarah, I saw that you wrote you are going to get vaccinated. In our area, they are only vaccinating pregnant women, health care workers and day care workers who take care of infants. No idea how long it will take to get to the rest. Ohio is one of the hard-hit places.

    MN Sarah -- My husband is more level-headed too, thank goodness!

    Christine -- you are in the group that can be vaccinated first. I would take advantage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We had the H1N1 scare last week and are happy its over (well, almost over anyway). My daughter, age 11 and normally quite healthy, felt crummy so she only did school work in the morning (home school)and then took it easy the rest of the day. THe next morning her fever was 103 so I took her to the dr. She tested pos. for flu, plus had the start of viral pneumonia - and so was admitted to the hospital. SHe is now much, MUCH better and only spent one night in the hospital. Very scary for me, though... the virus got bad so fast (as I have read, it does for some people). - I am happy for you that your son did NOT have the flu... stay healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely think the worst. We all have had our seasonal flu shots, and will get the H1N1 next month through December. Our school district is holding clinics, starting next month. My elementary schooler is up in early November, followed a week later by my daughter, who is a junior in high school. Lastly, my two middle school students are slated to be vaccinated in December.
    Interestingly, our doctor;s office isn't certain when,if at all, that they will get the shots. Apparently, at least in Vermont, they're relying on schools to hold clinics.
    I'm not comfortable with schools doing this, and if the doctor's has the vaccine first, will go that route.
    With blessings,
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  9. Katie,
    I'm sorry your daughter got so sick. I'm sure you were scared by how quickly her condition became serious. I'm glad her hospital stay was short. My husband and I washing our hands like mad -- except the kids are still not so good about it.

    Regina -- you be careful!

    Gail, Our pediatrician's office is not giving H1N1 shots either (although he does give seasonal flu shots). I am wondering if this is a recommendation by the AAP. My doctor mentioned something about not wanting to vaccinate babies as the reason why he's letting schools handle it. The trouble is, homeschoolers are left without a resource.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad he is doing OK.

    I am on the fence about vaccinating the kids for this. And I know the health dept. is going to schools--but Catholic schools have not been mentioned, so we may be in the same boat as the home schoolers.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!