Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Third Law of Physics

.

As we gracefully transition (not) from school days into summer days, from time spent in different places to time spent together, my children are learning Newton's Third Law of Physics.

To every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

It doesn't always apply to physical movement, you know. In fact, it most often applies to words, with my gang.

In the car on the drive home from church, one child is dressed down by dad for his choice of language. He, in turn, dresses down his younger brother for something as insignificant as... breathing.

At the dinner table, one child is corrected for rude manners. He, in turn, corrects his sister for something as simple as... breathing.

In the yard, one child is scolded for rough play. He, in turn, scolds his brother for...

You get the picture. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. How long will it take for my children to learn this Law?

.

10 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to laugh, but it's so nice to hear other people's kids fight as much as mine!!! (over the silliest things, like...breathing)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, ma'am, we've got that bug over here too.
    Our law of physics stretches to include the punishment of cleaning bathrooms and such if the domino effect continues.
    I'm not sure if I want them to wake up and learn that Law. My bathrooms are looking mighty sparkly.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes. The bane of my stay-at-home existence is most certainly the bickering.

    Some friends and I were talking about this last night--over coffee & ice cream, incidentally, which is the very best way to discuss one's darling children--and someone suggested teaching our kids the importance of JOY.

    That is,

    Jesus;
    Others;
    Yourself.

    Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jamie, One just has to exist in my house to be on the receiving end of this trickle down discipline. "He's blinking at me!" Ugh. Cleary there is no age limit on this crap.


    Nutmeg,
    I'll have to try that bathroom discipline. Sounds like boot camp.;-)


    Maggie, I'm reading this over coffee and ice cream, actually coffee chip ice cream right out of the container (recipe to come). I agree -- 'tis the best way to mull over parenting issues. I could use a friend, though, thanks for coming through. We'll discuss JOY tonight at dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've got that trickle down Law in our house as well! I like the JOY objective, I'll have to get that in a huge plaque of some sort to post on the wall to remind my children.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barbara, What are my children doing at your house?? Please send them home now! Sometimes I look at my husband after he gives the younger two instruction and ask him if he's talking to 8 and 3 year olds instead of 18 and 13 year olds....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dirtdartwife,
    It's actually so predictable, I can count on it each time someone is corrected, a fight will ensue.

    Cheryl,
    I'll not send them home -- they fit right in. I'm feeding them and I'll send them home at the end of the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, have you been watching us in this cramped hotel room?????? LOL. Yes, when will they learn this law????

    ReplyDelete
  9. They'll get the hang of this law when they become parents.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful way to start the day....laughing. Brings back memories for me too. Then the day comes when you can send the "charmers" home with their parents.....yeahhhhhh

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!