Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Way of the "Nothing"

.
I have written before about my daily readings in Divine Intimacy. One of the many things I really enjoy about the meditations, is that the author works on an "issue" repeatedly during the week. He knows how thick I am.

This week, in anticipation of Lent I imagine, I am reading about attachments, or should I say detachment. As our family tries to detach itself from the convenience of so many worldly goods, I found this passage to be especially helpful.

"If you wish to start resolutely on the road of total detachment, -- the only sure road to divine union -- you must 'put the axe to the root of the tree'; that is, you must break off and pull up the root of your attachments -- that inordinate tendency to enjoy, or to seek satisfaction in yourself, in your pride, or in other creatures. It is true that you were created to enjoy, but to enjoy God. However, God is not present to your senses, while your 'self' and the things of the earth are so close to you. Hence instead of looking beyond yourself and all creation in order to reach God, instead of making use of creatures to help you rise toward the Creator, you pause and seek happiness in them. You pause with an inordinate affection, and for this grain of satisfaction, you bind your heart to earth and become incapable of union with God, the only real source of happiness. This inordinate desire for pleasure is the thing which turns your desires and affections towards creatures, instead of fixing them on God. This is the root of every attachment, no matter how slight.

In order to mortify completely this inordinate tendency, St. John of the Cross says, 'If something presented to the senses, which is not solely for the honor and glory of God, give it up, and deprive yourself of it for the love of Christ, who, while on earth, had and desired nothing but to do the will of His Father.' The Saint does not mean that you must live without pleasure or satisfaction; this would be impossible, as man is created for happiness. However, he does tell you to renounce all the pleasures which are displeasing to God and to put all your pleasure and satisfaction solely into accomplishing the will of God, giving Him pleasure and procuring His glory. This was Jesus' life: He could say, 'I do always the things that please Him.'

If your way of acting or speaking satisfies your self-love, but you know that is does not please God, then you must give it up. If a conversation, a friendship, or a comfort pleases you, but you doubt whether it is pleasing to God, you must give it up. If your will urges you to do anything which may be even slightly contrary to the will of God, you must refrain from doing it. In all cases St. John of the Cross continually says: 'nothing, nothing, nothing.' Nothing for the satisfaction of pride, or selfishness, nothing for the pleasure of the senses, or even the mind or will -- if it is not in perfect agreement with the will of God. There is only one choice: to live for self or to live for God.

O Lord, teach me to make use of all things with perfect purity of intention, without desiring to draw any selfish satisfaction from them. 'But how harsh it sounds to say that we must take pleasure in nothing, unless we also speak of the consolations and delights that this renunciation brings in its train. Oh, what great gain it is, even in this life' (St. Teresa of Jesus, Way).

Yes, Lord, I understand Your words; I must surrender my own will and many little personally satisfactions; but in exchange I shall know the joy of doing Your will, of giving You pleasure and satisfaction, You are my God and my All."





.

4 comments:

  1. oh, wow, that's hard. Nothing, nothing, nothing.

    Who wrote Divine Intimacy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Sara, hard. In my entire life I may not make it!

    Divine Intimacy by Fr. Gabriel of St. Mary Magdalen

    I have the edition published in the early 60s and it has been revised, but I'm certain the new editions are good stuff too. You wouldn't guess from the passage, but it's very uplifting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. That's a lot to think about.

    And I know whenever I think, "But I don't wanna..."....it means I really need to.

    Hmmm......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like I need to read this.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!