Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Monday, February 02, 2009

Tidbits

.

Peach always uses the word '"timbits" instead of tidbits, after the Tim Horton treat that we occasionally get after daily Mass. She never uses the real word; she'll ask for a timbit of this or that. It's a real Peachism.

Anyway, I almost called this post "timbits." You would have been completely confused.


We had a busy weekend, how about you? I spent most of the weekend doing what I call "chunking." That means I spent a little bit of time on a lot of things. So, I was very busy, never idle, but it also means I am left with a feeling of not really having accomplished anything completely. Not a good feeling. And the one thing that I really wanted to do was get the basement cleaned, and that is only partly done.

I did, however, completely finish two Seven Sorrows chaplets. For some reason, I get requests for rosaries in fits and starts. I might go for two weeks with not one request, and then get five in one week. This past week I received requests for five new Seven Sorrows chaplets. I really don't have much time to just be creative anymore, I get so many specific requests. But, that's o.k. Noah asked me yesterday why do I make rosaries. I told him because I like to help people to pray more. And that's the simple truth. I just love to know that more people are praying.

~~~~~

We had a bad stomach bug run through our house last week and the last full day of homeschooling that we had was Tuesday. We have a lot to make up. I suppose it will take us a couple weeks to completely catch up, which always makes me a little nuts. Realistically I know that I should just take one day at a time, but with homeschooling I tend to think in weeks. I also know that it's going to be hard to get back in the swing of it as it always is after even a few days away from our work. Peach especially has a hard time going from full-blown-play mode to work-then-play mode. I think we'll run an errand midday today to break up the stress (it's either that or do shots and I think that might not be a good idea).

~~~~~

I am posting some of the feast day activities that I rounded up last year. Tomorrow is the feast of St. Blaise, so if you can manage, get to Mass and have your throat blessed. I remember as a little girl lining up at Mass to have the candles crossed in front of my throat. I wrote about it here two years ago (I can't believe I've been blogging that long).

Feast of Candlemas -- February 2, the Feast of the Presentation of the Lord, traditionally the Feast of the Purification of Mary. Of course, this day is also the very first of the Seven Sorrows of Mary.

Candlemas:

From fisheaters.com: "Today is a day of purification, renewal, and hope. On this day, exactly 40 days after Christmas, we commemorate Mary's obedience to the Mosaic Law by submitting herself to the Temple for the ritual purification, as commanded in Leviticus." (for the entire text, go here).

Find a good explanation of the Feast here and another for children here.

Family Candle Activity

Have a Candelmas tea as suggested here by Alice Gunther.

Jessica at Shower of Roses has some good suggestions, including our Matilda's candle centerpiece.

There is an online jigsaw puzzle here, just click on "Jesus is presented in the temple."

On food, from fisheaters.com: "As to foods, tamales and hot chocolate are eaten today in Mexico, the party being given by the one who found the trinket inside the Kings' Cake on the Feast of the Epiphany. Crepes are a tradiational Candlemas fare in many parts of Europe. These crepes can be filled with savory things or be used with sauces to make them a dessert. Serve whatever Candlemas foods you eat today with candles burning everywhere!"

I have a new post over at Catholic Cuisine for Candlemas Crepes.

St. Blaise -- February 3

St. Blaise is the patron against troubles of the throat, veterinarians, and wild animals. He is one of the Fourteen Helpers.

Here is a child appropriate bio.

For a page to color, go here.

Prayer to St. Blaise for protection, particularly from afflictions of the throat.

O glorious St. Blaise, who by your martyrdom left to the Church a precious witness to the Faith, obtain for us the grace to preserve within ourselves this divine gift, and to defend — without concern for human respect — both by word and example, the truth of that same Faith, which is so wickedly attacked and slandered in these our times. You miraculously restored a little child who was at the point of death because of an affliction of the throat. Grant us your mighty protection in similar misfortunes. And, above all, obtain for us the grace of Christian mortification, together with faithful observance of the precepts of the Church, which keep us from offending almighty God. Amen.

St. Agatha -- February 4

St. Agatha is the Patron of bell-founders; breast cancer; breast disease; against fire; earthquakes; jewelers; martyrs; natural disasters; nurses; rape victims; single laywomen; sterility; torture victims; volcanic eruptions; wet-nurses.

A St. Agatha quote:
When Agatha was arrested, the legend says, she prayed: “Jesus Christ, Lord of all things! You see my heart, you know my desires. Possess all that I am—you alone. I am your sheep; make me worthy to overcome the devil.” And in prison: “Lord, my creator, you have protected me since I was in the cradle. You have taken me from the love of the world and given me patience to suffer. Now receive my spirit.”
and a prayer:
Dear Virgin and Martyr, whom the Church recalls in her liturgy, you heroically resisted the temptations of a degenerate ruler. Subjected to long and horrible tortures, you remained faithful to your heavenly Spouse. Saint Peter, we are told, gave you some solace and so you are invoked by nurses. Encourage them to see Christ in the sick and to render true service to them. Amen.

A child appropriate bio here.

Since St. Agatha is the patron against fire, take today to teach your children about fire safety and check test all the smoke detectors in the house. Light a candle at dinner and say the Prayer to St. Agatha.

~~~~~

And my last little "timbit" is about our seminarian at church, who I wrote about here. Yesterday, at Mass, I noticed, as I always do, an incredible radiance that he has about him when he distributes Holy Communion. He smiles the whole time he distributes (I always think his mouth muscles must be sore afterward) and it is indubitable to anyone watching him that he so incredibly happy to be sharing the Body of Our Lord Jesus with his neighbor. If only we could all have just a little radiance for sharing our love of God with each other, the world would be a much happier place. Esther posted a link for a request for a pledge of prayers for increased vocations. I would go even farther to request prayers for an increase of seminarians with a fervent passion for the Holy Eucharist and the Sacraments.










.

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful timbits Barbara! Thank you for sharing!!
    By the way...thank you for the sock drawer ideas. I remember as a kid, my mom used to have these little plastic thingys that you held your socks together in the laundry process. This is a good idea, except...I'd end up doing it and that defeats the whole purpose I'm not always there when they fling their socks everywhere!!!
    The good news is....when spring comes....none of us will wear socks very often.

    Have a great day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it's so hard to play catch up isn't it? I hope you are all feeling better though!

    You never disappoint with all the projects for each feast day, you are wonderful and do such a good job of doing it!!

    I'm going to stop and get whipping cream for those crepes, we'll have them for supper....is that a supper meal? Oh, well, it's going to be!

    God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad you guys are feeling better. school will get caught up eventually.
    r

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your site via Jamie. I love it! It's nice to know that I'm not the only one behind in school. December and Jan were not kind to us health wise, and I feel like we'll never catch up. God Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh, we can all catch up, yeah? I'm sick and acting like a meanie . . . from the sofa! My younger two got lectured yesterday: "you must finish testing by this Friday. No questions. Just do it." God, I pray they do. This HI move is just making my nerves go all wonky. But, we'll hang in there! So, you hang in there as well. Thanks for all these lovely ideas, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elizabeth Clare, SFOMay 31, 2009 at 5:56 AM

    Barbara,
    Thank you for your lovely ideas. I too am a Roarymaker and I spend my time split between filling orders and enjoying my 5 small grandchildren (age 5 mon. - 6 yrs.). What a blessed life I lead between those two efforts. My husband travels for work, so I have plenty of time to enjoy my work and visits. Although school is out of the picture for me, an old Grandma, pressures abound and deadlines are hard to meet, especially since my Rosary website is so large (over 420 pieces). May our Lady, Queen of the Holy Rosary obtain for you the special graces you need each and everyday as you continue to live in and thru Our Lord Jesus Christ.
    Your servant thru St Francis & St Clare,
    Elizabeth Clare, SFO
    http://www.ecrosaries.com

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!