Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Monday, January 26, 2009

I'm Gettin' Me a Ladder

.

Aka "The Dark Night"

This is not a story I intended to tell here. Not because I'm embarrassed about it, although I think it does require some humility to admit the frightful truth, but because I really think I am just too extreme for you to relate. I decided over the last two days, however, that if I can help someone, or someone can help me, it's worth talking about.

I mentioned a while back, in the fall, after we took our oldest son to college, that I was communicating with him every night by text. Just a little assurance at the end of each day that he is safe, and all is well. If you have college kids, or even grown adult kids, you understand how important it is to know that all is well when you cannot see for yourself. If you have little ones at home and they drive you nuts all day with their constant presence (although I'm sure you'd never admit to such a thing), take a moment to appreciate their little bodies making contact with yours all day -- at least you know that they are safe.

Well, my story begins on Friday night at 10 p.m. -- the hour at which I receive a text each night that begins with "Hi mom," and eventually ends with "LU2" (Love you, too). On Friday night at 10 p.m., my phone was silent. After waiting for his incoming text for about 20 minutes, I texted him. No response. I waited a while again and sent another prompt. Nothing. Then I called. No answer.

Now, for many mothers, maybe this event (or non-event, as the case may be) would prompt you to say to yourself, "Oh, he must be busy," or "He must be having fun." My husband, knowing what was going on in my mind said "He's fine."

I waited a while and then went up to bed, taking my phone with me, still thinking I would hear back from him when he noticed the time. At about midnight I sent him one final text saying "Text me whenever you get this so I know you're safe -- no matter the time." I turned off my light and began praying the Divine Mercy Chaplet. And then I slept for about 20 minutes and woke with a start. My heart was pounding and and I felt sick to my stomach. I got out of bed, took my phone and went downstairs. I tried calling him again. No answer.

At this point I convinced myself, as I did repeatedly throughout the night, that the reason I was having these physical symptoms of heart pounding and sick stomach was because of some mother-child connection -- that there was something terribly wrong with my child and I instinctively knew it.

I began to pray. I prayed the St, Michael chaplet. I prayed with such fervency it bordered on begging. And I called. No answer. With each call my heart sunk a little lower and my mind took me to places no mother's mind should go. I can't possibly put into words the scenarios I came up with, but I can tell you they were absolutely the worst case possible. I never thought he lost his phone. I never thought he was somewhere else and left it in his room. My mind went to the worst case scenario, zero to 100, in no time flat.

And this is where you realize I am a nut job.

Eventually I went back to bed and begged (yes, I begged) God to let me sleep so that I would not have to participate in this torture of the mind any more. Eventually, God let me sleep, though I still tossed and turned and woke repeatedly with a start.

At 7 a.m. my torture ended. My phone sounded with an incoming text. "I'm soooo sorry mom. I fell asleep early and didn't text you."

I immediately called him. "You've been asleep all night?"

"Yeah, I got in bed early with my laptop and the next thing I knew it was 7 a.m."

"Why didn't you hear your phone?"

"It's on vibrate and I was sound asleep. I just saw your text and all the missed calls."


He had been sleeping all night long. He was completely and totally safe. All. Night. Long.

After I talked with him, I slept for a little while longer, finally falling into a deep sleep. When I woke, Doug and I talked. He had slept all night. He wasn't worried in the least. Why then, did my mind torture me with these worst case scenarios? Is it because I am a mother? Do all mothers do this?

I asked Doug if he remembered that book that we used to read to the kids, I Love You Forever? He vaguely remembered it. I reminded him that the mother, even when the little boy was all grown up, used to check on him when he was sleeping. She even went over to his house with a ladder and climbed in his bedroom window to make sure he was safe. I told Doug I'm gettin' me a ladder and the next time this happens, I'm using it.




That's me.
.
As long as I'm living, my baby you'll be.



.

26 comments:

  1. Barbara,
    I totally get this! None of my kids are old enough to be on their own, but, I still totally get it! I have a very hard time when they are away from me and I ALWAYS think the worst!

    I'll help you carry the ladder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not there yet, of course, and can't quite relate. It's only been about a year since I stopped checking on my older kids to make sure they were still breathing before I went to bed. I still check on the littles, though. Not to make sure they're breathing anymore, but that they are still snuggled up under their blankets, protected from the winter chill of the night house. Basically, I stopped worrying that they are going to die in the night. :-) I don't know why, why I worried in the first place and why I quit. There's just a point where you have to let go. Pray when you're worried, pray for his protection and safety, but after you've done that, after you've turned the job over to God, you have to let go...and have faith. Faith in the job you've done raising him, and faith in the God into who's care you just commended him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Nancy. You can watch out for the police, too. I'm sure they won't be too understanding with me propping a ladder up to the dorm wall!

    Jennie, That's exactly what my own mom said. Thanks. It's going to take some practice (but hopefully I'll not have too much opportunity.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dear, dear Barb...

    You are not a nutcase, or, if you are then you're in good company!

    Friday, my sweet girl drove to Kentucky. Alone. She's done it many times, and always checks in to let us know she's arrived safely. 10:00 p.m. no text message. Mom texts. 10:30 - still no message. Mom calls and leaves a message. No reply. 11:00 p.m. hubby says: "come to bed, she's fine, her phone is probably roaming, battery's dead, she forgot the charger, etc. She'll call in the morning.

    That wasn't good enough. I sit and wait, like you envisioning all of the worst. Accident, kidnapping, etc. Things we think we can put aside once their grown, but it's just not the case. Like you, I'm quite sure that my unease is based upon a very real disturbance in the "mother/child bond..."

    11:30 I start texting her friends. Sure enough, one them, with a wry smile, I'm sure and no end of ribbing, hands her their phone, and like your dear boy..."oh, mom...I'm so sorry! I was going to use someone else's phone to call, we got talking, I forgot...I'm so sorry I worried you!"

    Sigh...it's at these times that I realize my fear is positively rooted in her independence. She really doesn't need me to protect her, but I need her reassurance that she's okay without me. I have daughters grown and raising families, and I don't have the same level of anxiety that I have with this adult child for whom we are still responsible.

    All's well that ends well! May God give us the grace to rest in Him and trust in His loving protection of our children...six more to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny, Barbara. Obviously, I can't relate to kids at college, but last night, Alexis was up sick, crying, fever...Once we all got to sleep, I had horrible dreams about her getting REALLY sick and it getting worse from there (I don't need to go into details). And then that was followed up with a bad dream about baby-to-be not making it. Of course, I can blame it on the crazy preggo mommy hormones!

    Have faith and cut yourself a little slack. This is your first baby to leave the nest. You're learning to deal with it just like he is learning.

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kimberly,
    Thank you for telling me that your motherly instincts malfunctioned also. Maybe I've read too many books/watched too many movies. I really believed that my physical symptoms had to be based on something real.

    I wish I had some of my son's friends' numbers -- of course maybe it's better I don't. I briefly thought of calling campus police to ask if they could check his dorm room. Oh my goodness, how that would have embarrassed him!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stina,
    You're right. I'm learning. I guess I just can't imagine other moms have done this (except in reality I know moms have been doing this since God created moms). I try to place myself in Our Lady's shoes -- what she went through. Except my suffering was all in my head!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what? you mean you don't have a ladder yet? =)
    i don't have any gone from the nest yet. but the ladder is ready and waiting, because THAT book is one of our FAVORITES....and no matter what, they are always our going to be our babies.
    if it is any consolation my mother still does this with me and i am 32
    years old!
    when the love is there, you can't help but worry. remember when the child Jesus was lost, that was one of her sorrows, wasn't it?
    imagine losing GOD'S son!! =)
    trust is such a hard thing, barb.
    if it ever happens again:
    JESUS, I TRUST IN YOU.......
    try it, it helps.
    (or not, i don't mean to be bossy!)=)
    happy monday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my kiddos drive me crazy, I admit it!

    Oh, this was such a great post on so many levels, you are such a good writer!!

    OK, I'm the no award person, but this was truly great!

    I cried, imagined myself in your shoes, then laughed. I love that story, "Love You Forever" it always gets me teary eyed. We will read it today in honor of you!

    Maybe those prayers went to another mother whose child truly was in danger and that was why you were awakened so abrubtly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very well said. My eldest will graduate from high school in three short years . . . but I've had to let him go a few times when he cross state lines for Boy Scout camp. Ugh! Heart-wrenching stuff! Every summer! Okay - here's my dumdum stuff: I will bless him as he leaves the house in the AM, turn off the light, part the curtains and watch him until he turns the corner on our street. Praying.the.whole.time.for.his.safe.return.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Barbara,
    As you know, my sister is in college and living with us. She has her own car now, and no curfew... luckily, she is an early bird for the most part, and gets in as we are headed to bed around 11pm or so.
    One night, she wasn't home yet at 12am... and I was worried, esp since she was just going to the store (and had left at 8pm!) I ended up texting her to see if she stopped by school to see her friends.
    I sent the text just as she walked in the door.....
    :)
    And she is not even my daughter.
    Something tells me I'll be needing that ladder....
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Barb, halfway through reading this entry I was thinking "oh she is getting the Love You Forever ladder" lol. My kids aren't old enough but I've had somewhat of the same scenario with my husband. He used to work nights at the hospital and if he's not home at the appointed time I am storming heaven like nobody! This was before the prevalance of cellphones, so you can imagine my madness.

    ReplyDelete
  13. call my cynical but i have to admit that book always creeped me out.
    i think with time you will be able to let go. i havent had to go through it and am not sure how i will handle it when the time comes. i do remember being left at school though, and my mom crying and me rolling my eyes. i started school in 1995...back when the only people with cell phones had lots and lots of money. needless to say, i didnt have a cell phone. imagine the moms who didnt have 24/7 contact availability with their kids. since there were long distance charges involved i think we might have spoken twice a week (i went to school 14 hrs from home, she couldnt just drive down to visit either).
    i know now that it was especially hard for her since i was the youngest~she was trying to figure out her new role of having no one at home but from the kids perspective (for me anyway) it was nice to not be hovered over...it gave me a feeling that my mom trusted me to make good decisions~but she was always there for me if i needed her.
    youll find (have found?) what works for you guys.
    r

    ReplyDelete
  14. Regan, I'm working on that trust. And I appreciate your bossiness!

    Jamie,
    Please love those sweet little bodies today and appreciate the time you have. It won't be long and you will be in my shoes.

    Sarah,
    True confessions -- I bless my kids with holy water all the time in their sleep. If only I could splash my college boy!

    Nutmeg,
    You are going to need that ladder. I think we should take wall climbing lessons together. I can just see me throwing that grappling hook up to the windowsill three floors up!

    Ana Maria,
    I think my problem is that darned cell phone. He never goes anywhere without it and that's why I kept thinking, "why isn't he answering?"

    Regina,
    On Friday night I was thinking, how did my mom ever do this? I know we never talked more than twice a week. And I live in a sorority house where you were lucky anyone answered the phone much less left a message. She must have learned trust. I have a way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Barbara - I CAN relate! :) I really think Satan fills our minds with crazy thoughts when we're worried....he compounds all that is worrisome with a huge snowball job of fear and anxiety...now about those ladders...I need a two-story one for my oldest boys dorm room....and my second one is going to college 500 miles from home come this August...I tell you my hair gets grayer by the day. Thank God for my rosary! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have soooo been there. It is now a standing joke with my grown kids, "No mom I am not in a ditch!" Because I would always say to them, "when you travel, call when you stop so I know which ditches to come look in." "When you get home call so I know you are not in a ditch." I have almost broken myself of the nasty habit of calling back immediately when they don't answer the first time because they do ignore the phone and it makes me nutso. Or more nutso than I already am. The other thing I say repeatedly is, "you will understand in about 25 years." HUGS from another mom that understands. Been many a rosary said in the middle of the night.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I TOTALLY get this, more and more each day as the kids get older...2 teens in the house now and only one more year with one of them....I think my rosaries are getting more of a workout now than they did when everyone was small!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cheryl,
    I had a feeling you could relate. You know, I had this feeling that I was under spiritual attack while I was going through it, and that's one reason I chose to pray the St. Michael chaplet. The feeling was so incredibly hard to fight. You're gonna need a long ladder next year, friend.

    Martha,
    My husband always gets the "dead in a ditch" bit from me. Since my son doesn't have a car, I wasn't think those thoughts -- just every other one!

    Barb,
    No kidding -- I always thought it was rough when they were little. I now know those days were soooooo manageable.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have to admit it worries me a bit that it gets HARDER rather than easier as they get older---sigh....

    but i totally understand where you're coming from and I don't think it's crazy or an odd sense of mothering.

    Thank you for sharing your story with us all!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great story. I love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Barbara, I love this book and cry every time I read it to my kids.

    I'll join you in getting a ladder.

    Praying you don't have any more Dark Nights.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I did almost the exact same thing! Only it was college daughter and I text-ed her (in a monotonously slow way because I cannot text well) no answer!!!! About 30 texts and calls later she calls me at 9AM!!!!!!!!!! the next day to tell me she fell asleep on her friend's couch. WE have GOT to stop worrying so much, but I totally understand how you jumped to all the bad conclusions because I did too. I had her in her car on one of the snake turns flipped over in the gully and it was snowing, etc... How our minds do wander. I am trying not to worry so much, I just pray for her ALL the time and mine lives at home!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks, Denise. I'm sad to report it does get harder! AT least for a while.

    Thanks, Emily.

    Michelle, I know you can appreciate needing a ladder. Thanks for the prayers.

    Indybreeze, I guess as long as they are not right by our side, we'll worry. At least until they prove they know what they're doing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Indybreeze, I guess as long as they are not right by our side, we'll worry. At least until they prove they know what they're doing!
    ***********************************

    Or, until they are married. My mom tells me she hardly ever worries about me.
    Well, not as much, anyway.
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. That's from one of my mom's favorite story books. That line she says to her son each time, my mom has her own song tune for it. I can still hear it in my head how she read it to us so many years ago.

    Thanks for the memory spark!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love that book! My mom used to read it to me. I'm actually the youngest of nine and when it came out she also gave a copy to all the older kids too for Christmas one year. They are all much older than I. Now that I have my own little one, I can see exactly how she felt. She used to call me everyday while I was at college too. Actually she still calls me often, such as when the roads are bad with snow or ice.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!