Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Friday, January 16, 2009

Cozy

.

I am. Cozy and warm. And for that I am very grateful (even though I hate the cold because while I am cozy and warm, all I am thinking about is the heating bill).

We have negative temps and the streets are still, for the most part, covered in six inches or so of powdery snow. High school boy had a scheduled day off today for a teacher retreat, but then "they" went and gave all the other schools a snow day today. We were going to go to the theater, but now the theaters will be teaming with germy kids having a snow day.

So we'll stay home instead. Stay warm. Watch movies at home. Make popcorn. Bake cookies. The kids received lots of movies at Christmas time that they have watched, but I have not seen. I plan to spend my four-day weekend watching movies while I do laundry, iron, knit, make rosaries, and do more laundry. I have also made myself a deal that I will do at least one hour of school planning each day. Do you do that? Make deals with yourself? I'll say to myself, "O.k., if you iron for two hours, then you can knit for one hour." Or, "Switch laundry loads and then you can read for 15 minutes." I have to say it's the only way I get anything done around here -- bargaining.

So, I'll spend the weekend making deals with myself and eventually we'll come out on the other end, hopefully with all the work done, but no weepy mom (all work and no play makes mom a very weepy girl).

I have some new yarn to play with, so that should make the deals even better. A friend gave me a JoAnn gift card for doing some sewing for her and I took advantage of the $1.99 sale a few weeks ago. Isn't it yummy?




I'm making college boy a sideways knit scarf. I saw a few while I was Christmas shopping and thought I could knit one easily. It's easy, but will take knitting through a few movies to be done. I'm using that brown and ivory and blue. You knit one row of each color over and over, in any order, and leave the ends of each row hanging so you can tie them for a fringe. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Peach wants me to knit her mittens, but I'll have to figure out how to knit mittens first (a goal of mine for this year). She wants that bright pink yarn. Go figure.

The rest of the yarn will be used to knit for our church's knitting ministry. Have I told you about that? Members of the church knit or crochet hats and scarves for the homeless, adults and children. Just before Thanksgiving they gave away hundreds of hat and scarf sets to the homeless. It's a great ministry. If you knit or crochet and live in a geographic area that has cold winters, check to see if your church has a knitting ministry. Or start one yourself.





I'm going to make lots of these hats (pattern here) and matching scarfs. They are great because I use up bits of scrap yarn and don't need full skeins to finish (the pattern doesn't call for switching colors; I just use up what I have and switch when I run out). I don't usually care if the sets match because I figure a warm hat and scarf is a warm hat and scarf. This hat is made from cotton yarn which is my favorite, but probably isn't the warmest so I bought mostly wool blend yarn.

So, I'm crafting and laundering and planning my way through the weekend, with some baking and cooking thrown in for good measure. This is my kind of weekend.

I leave you with this beautiful meditation which I read in Divine Intimacy this morning. It will keep me on the straight and narrow as I bargain my way through my days.

"If we desire to follow Jesus, who offers us the perfection of His heavenly Father as a norm for our life, we must engage in an intense struggle against sin in order to destroy its deepest roots and even its slightest traces in us. This is just what Jesus teaches us with the brief words: 'Deny thyself.' We must deny 'self' with all its imperfect habits and inclinations; and we must do so continually. Such a task is fatiguing and painful, but it is indispensable if we wish to attain sanctity. Jesus says: 'How narrow is the gate, and strait is the way that leadeth to life, and few there are that find it!' (Mt 7, 14). We approach the infinite perfection of God only in the measure in which we take upon ourselves the work of complete self-denial.

'If any man will come after Me, let him deny himself.' "


.

11 comments:

  1. Divine Intimacy is my favorite for my meditation time each day! Enjoy your knitting time and I wish I could come and watch you make Rosaries! Loved the Job's tears one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think of it as bargaining---I think it's a great way to get lots of things done without burning out. Something I learned from Flylady. I do one activity for 15 mins., switch for another 15, switch for another 15, then do something for me for 15. You can use longer time periods or just do one job for a while.

    I think I get a lot more done by making time for me (and knitting) and not wearing myself ragged.

    Oh, and those missing grades? I'd totally be skipping them. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. barb, this post makes me so glad to have found you....i wish we lived closer!
    but, yes,i make deals with myself all the time because if i didn't i'd probably do either too much work and no play or too much play and no work. deals are a great way to get stuff done. i really struggle with finding balance, it is one of those imperfections that need to be weeded out!
    and as for the knitting ministry, what a great idea, even though it is not that cold here, people without a roof over their heads must find it awfully cold at night. i know this drafty old house gets awfully cold and we are blessed with plenty of blankets and heat if we want it.
    well, have a cozy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the hat
    cant wait to see the scarf
    r

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love going to movie matinees when we know the kids are in school too.

    Sounds like a lovely weekend you have planned.

    I do wish we had snow to go with these frigid temperatures here though.

    Our church doesn't have a knitting ministry but we've found a woman who helps migrant families. We donate our hats, gloves and scarves to her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barb, this is such a lovely post.

    And I was going to write more but that quote at the end makes me want to go pray.

    Have a beautiful four-day weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, Barbara, I make deals with myself all the time...vacuum the house and then you can sew or iron these shirts and then you can smock, etc. :)
    Your weekend sounds cozy and wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Julia,
    My copy of Divine Intimacy was published in 1964. I love it, but since it follows the traditional liturgical year I often have trouble figuring out where I should be! It doesn't matter -- it's all good.

    Sara,
    I don't do Flylady but my mother taught me the value of rewarding yourself with down time. She's a hard worker but must have know she would burn out (she also loved good books and probably knew she might not get up from her book if she hadn't made a deal). I'm just like my mother!

    Regan,
    The ministry is a great thing. I can knit, which I love, for someone who really needs and warm hat and scarf. A true win-win!

    Regina,
    I made a little progress last night, but ironing took way more than two hours!

    Michelle,
    Maybe your girls could start a ministry. Not much work -- see if your pastor will allow a notice in the bulletin and then form a committee. Our ministry has a knitting night at the chair's house, but I have never attended. I just knit when I can and give what I have.

    Margaret,
    Nothing like talk of denying self to cause one to pray! I hope that you have a wonderful relaxing weekend as well. We need it after that testing week.

    Cheryl,
    I knew we were alike! On my second day of cozy here -- how's that LA weather?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm determined to ignore or offer up (silent) screeches as I shower this AM (it's just so cold in my house !!!) and listen to some CD's a friend loaned me from the Catholic Conference she attended in Baltimore . . . whilst I add more finishing touches to my cross stitch. When I finally finish the blasted thing, I may post a triumphant pic on my blog. I actually may finish it now that I've said that.

    I love your reflections - when I come here, I experience a calm and peace. You're a wonderful person!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sarah, That is such a nice thing to say. I thank you from the bottom of my cozy little heart. I'm headed out in the negative temps to takes the kids to a movie. They broke me down. That and a theater popcorn.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Barbara; Boohoo, I wish I could knit like you! I have been so blessed with a mother in law who made anything we ever wanted over the years, but now I see I should've learned next to her side just the same and shared the craft. It's one of the very few things I've not attempted and regret it. Love your posts i can read in between no internet abilities here. But, more than anything Barbara I just awarded you the "Marie Antoinette award" on my blog and thank you for being YOU! Hugs;Renee

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!