Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Tuesday, December 23, 2008

It's Beginning to Sound a lot Like Christmas

.
I think a person's choice of Christmas music says a lot about them. Not necessarily about their character, but about when they were raised and by whom. Just like many other aspects of Christmas, our favorites are built on our memories. My memories are of Bing Crosby's red Christmas album, and Johnny Mathis. My husband, too, was raised on those Christmas "classics."

I recently set up a Christmas station for myself at Pandora.com and used Johnny Mathis' "The Christmas Song" to establish a baseline for what I wanted. I love listening to this music because it's all my favorites -- Frank Sinatra, Bing, Johnny Mathis, Nat King Cole...good stuff. My own CDs offer a little more variety, but my core of favorites are the oldies. That just shows how old I am, I guess.

My Top 10 Christmas Songs and artists...in no particular order

"Silver Bells"...Bing Crosby

"Adeste Fideles" ...Nat King Cole and Dean Martin

"Winter Wonderland" ... Johnny Mathis

"Lo How A Rise E'er Blooming" ...instrumental

"Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" ...Carpenters

"Breath of Heaven"...Amy Grant

"Little Drummer Boy" ...Josh Groban

"Emmanuel, God With Us" ...Amy Grant

"Christmas Time is Here" ...Vince Guaraldi

"Sleigh Ride" ...Carpenters

"O Holy Night" ...Johnny Mathis

Join the Merry Christmas fun. If you post your favorites, let me know -- I want to come and check them out.




.

4 comments:

  1. Oooohh, I'll have to think about this while I make my radio station. KT had told me about Pandora a while back, but I had forgotten the name. This is so fun! Thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. fun idea. Maybe tomorrow...
    I have SO many favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Christmas music--love it love it love it.

    You can listen to *some* of my favorites on my blog--I put them on there to keep Angela happy while I'm blogging. :)

    And I can't wait to give some of yours a listen. Johnny Mathis singing "O Holy Night" is sure to be a new favorite.

    Merry Christmas Eve eve, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!