Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Saturday, December 06, 2008

And the stockings were hung

.
Just as I got the last of the kids shooed upstairs (that is getting harder and harder to do as they get older -- and I get older) and I began to fill all of the stockings, I heard the sound of throwing up, coming from up the stairs. How is it, that with the sound of the television going, and several dozen feet and a flight of stairs between a mother and her child, she can still hear the sound of someone throwing up?

'Twas Peach. And it lasted all night. And even though I had taken my bedtime Nyquil before I started filling stockings, I managed to make it up each time she woke again (of course dad, who had not taken cold medicine, never heard her). While Nyquil normally knocks me out (so I don't cough) each time she woke -- all the way until 4 a.m., I hopped out of bed like I had not even been sleeping. There's a special sick child alarm that God put inside each mother's brain.

She's feeling better today, and, of course, wants to know when she can have some chocolate.

Hope you're having a Happy St. Nicholas Day!




And if you're not from around here, you probably don't know that those "things" hanging next to the kids' stocking are Buckeye necklaces. My brother makes them and the kids have been asking for them. They look kind of strange if you don't know what they are.






.

4 comments:

  1. Hope she is feeling better!!

    I have a friend in Columbus who is a crafter and her husband makes those necklaces. They are cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. alright now how awesome is that!! gotta love that O stocking!! in OR we went to a benedictine monastery and it had a buckeye tree...we picked up some nuts with the hope of making a necklace figuring it could be a holy buckeye necklace (unfortunately in the move they can no longer be found)
    we do have 2 necklaces from the fiesta bowl game back in 2006
    r

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well if you ever want some more, R, I'll be glad to sponsor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok... instruct the ig'nant.. what's the significance of a Buckeye necklace (or the buckeye in general?) and its association with St. Nicholas and/or Advent? Those are really pretty too and would be a nice new tradition for our family!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!