Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Putting My Money Where My Mouth Is

.

Several of you read my post from earlier in the week and asked me exactly what Doug and I will be doing as we "roll up the sidewalks" for the next four years. As I said in that post, "Until we, as a country, stand up for, and protect at all cost, the lives of our most fragile neighbors, our unborn babies, we do not deserve to have anything -- not things, not entertainment, not comfort."

I believe that the citizens of this country will never understand that voting for their pocketbooks is not morally right, especially at the expense of innocent human beings, until they see that no political party is going to save them -- we have to save ourselves. What Doug and I intend to do, as a sacrifice for the babies, and as a chastisement to our country (and we are just one little family here, but we each do what we can) is to not contribute to the economy of this country except what it absolutely necessary, for the next four years.

Many of you asked for specifics -- what is our plan? We haven't written anything down, in terms of an actual plan, but the basic idea is to purchase only what we absolutely need. I'm certain we should always be doing this, but most families have their splurges, some more than others. We don't often eat out for pleasure, but now we will not. We won't buy clothes for fun -- we have enough to get us through, and we will only buy what is absolutely necessary (if someone grows too tall for their pants or needs new shoes they will be purchased). I would love to redecorate my living room, since I've had the same furniture since my kids were little, but that can wait. No new stove, which I had kind of been hoping for. We will entertain ourselves with free movies and books from the library. You get the idea. It's nothing earth shattering, but we will try not to contribute to the success of this culture of death.

I will also take a closer look at the places where I do spend my money. Is my grocer donating to charities I would support? Or that superstore? It's going to take some work and sacrifice, but I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is. Ultimately, I have to answer to my Father in heaven for what I've done here on earth, and I refuse to answer for turning my head and pretending something didn't exist that clearly did.

We will also look at how we can sacrifice by abstaining at one or more meals during the week. We already abstain from meat on Friday for the poor, but we can certainly do more. One of the cornerstones of our Catholic faith is sacrifice, and I know that we can find something in our regular diet to give up once or twice a week without too much brain racking. Just giving up sugar in my tea or jelly on my toast a few days a week will mean something to me.

By putting off any major purchases for now, and cutting back or regular purchases, we can increase our almsgiving, and also save a little more. I don't think any of us can predict what our tax bill will look like after 2009. Our president-elect made the claim that he would not raise taxes on families with an income of $250,000 or more, but I recently heard that number drop to just above the $100,000 mark. Who knows where it will end up? Frankly, Doug and I would rather give our money away to the charity of our choice than to pay taxes on it and have it go who-knows-where.

Several years ago, Doug and I made the commitment to donate only to Catholic charities. We give to our church, we give to Catholic hospitals (because until now our money was not spent on abortions, although under the FOCA I'm not certain about that now), we give to Catholic schools, and Catholic food pantries. We will have to be more careful where our money goes now, because we've learned that all Catholic charities are not "safe", but will continue to only support only Catholic charities. Hopefully we will be giving more than we have in the past, it just depends -- I'd rather decide than have my government decide for me. We will probably add "safe" pregnancy decision centers to our list of charities and support them with our prayers as well.

It's hard to predict where this country will be in four years, as well as where my family will be. I don't recommend trying to live that far in the future. I am too much of a pragmatist, and I don't even know if we'll all even be here in four years. But, I have to know, in my heart of hearts, that I am doing something. I can't just go on with my life and pretend that millions of babies aren't being murdered while I just go on as normal. To face my God when my time here on earth is up, I have to know that I carried this in my heart and tried to make a difference.




.

14 comments:

  1. There are some really great ideas in this post, Barbara. I agree that it is important not to contribute to the culture of death if we can at all help it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas! I believe we will be doing some of the same...unfortunately at this point in time it is out of necessity. We are really feeling squeezed here. I can only imagine how much worse it is going to get. We are also very picky about which Catholic charities we give to, but you reminded me that I need watch who else I give my money to. God bless you and your family for doing your part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good luck...it is a sacrifice for sure. you have certainly made me think about sacrifices i can start making.
    r

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara you are so inspiring. Good for you. My heart broke a little yesterday and I will be praying for the President Elect that he may see the light. I only hope that 4 years is as far as it goes.

    Right now expatriates only have to pay US tax if they earn over $80000 in their adoptive country and we are just barely at that mark. Sounds a lot, but believe me, in a country where a gallon of gas is $8, it doesn't stretch far at all. It seems now that this threshold might be lowered, so now we will be paying prohibitive tax to two countries. How are we ever going to get back if we can't save? *sigh*

    Anyway, if you ever need something sent, you just let me know, because thankfully, for now, abortion is still illegal here.

    Thinking of you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barbara, you are a wonderful inspiration! I'm linking to your post. If any good has come from this election it's an awareness of what is going on and what we can do. An examination of conscience is never a bad thing. St. Pio pray for us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, very admirable, and inspiring!

    I have to admit, I can sacrifice, but not that much...I'm a whimp.

    It's the never eating out thing and only buying what we absolutely need that would be hard. I don't buy big things, it's those little things, like crafts, hair things for the girls, extra little things at that big Wal-something store!

    You've got me thinking....great post Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think most of the readers, as myself are quite intrigued with the logistics of how to do this. I'm glad you mentioned the Catholic Charities idea...ah, eureka! If I ever make more than the determined cut off then indeed, giving away all the money before the government can is a brilliant idea...I like it a lot and it gives me hope, but giving me an idea of how I can actually do something about it. I don't want any of our hard earn money's going towards planned parenthood or abortions, or a number of organizations. I was trying to draft a post yesterday about picking charities, but was never satisfied with it and never published. Thanks so much, your post is much better than mine was!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If FOCA passes, pro-life pregnancy centers will be desperate for money. FOCA eliminates federal funding of crisis pregnancy centers (because the only choice should be abortion, I guess).

    Here's is something to look up: I saw in the comments at another blog that churches may have quotas for all those "extra" collections - like CCHD. So, if the parisoners don't willingly contribute, they get a certain amount anyway from the regular collection. If true, then what to do?

    My goal for now is to find one good pregnancy center to donate to. All charitable donations will go there and there alone (I'll still do the church collection while I investigate that issue).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post Barbara, with some real food for thought. I especially liked the part about fasting--the no sugar in tea, for example.
    I'm diabetic, so I have a hard time actually fasting (although I do the no meat on Friday thing), but this is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is just what I had been thinking. We're with you. Monica

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, thank you for this post. This is something I want to talk about with my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My husband and I are only going to patronage "good Catholic" stores and restaurants. There are a number in our town who are owned and operated by Catholics who stand up for their faith. Therefore, we can still eat out but only at those restaurants.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I came to your blog by way of Nancy at BeNotAfraid. There is so much food for thought in this post,I can't wait to share with my dh! Time will tell if any of us will actually benefit from these tax cuts and other promises that have been made to put money back in our hands... but I feel it would be a great idea for any personal financial gain we may experiece in the next four years be donated to the nearest crisis pregnancy center! It is a tough pill to swallow that babies must die so that we can get a bigger tax rebate! I'm with you Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I shared your idea with my husband and we've already found changes we can make. Thanks for planting a seed.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!