Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Boy, You Guys are Good...

...really good. I don’t even have to ask for prayers any more. I just whisper in my angel’s ear and she spreads the word. Very nice.

I’m afraid, however, that my story is not quite as exciting as my angel led you to believe, at least not in my book (although I appreciate the build-up, darlin’). I can think of many more exciting things I’d rather have happen. Having an episode of vertigo at the John McCain rally was really not in my plans, although it is what I did on Sunday.

We had planned, as I mentioned last week, a busy weekend. We went to college boy’s campus on Friday and Saturday for Family Weekend, and then we planned to attend the McCain rally at a nearby college campus on Sunday. We had a grand time with college boy early in the weekend, and headed out on a gorgeous October Sunday morning for the McCain rally.
We had to wait outside the arena where the rally took place for about an hour, in a very long line, to get into the arena, and once inside we realized we would have to stand – no room left in the bleachers. So we found a spot in the middle of the gym and waited. And waited. It was about noon and McCain didn’t show until about 1:15. So we stood and waited for quite a while. By the time he showed, it was hot and the kids were, shall I say, crabby? That would be putting it nicely. But, I was determined not to let them get to me, and for the most part, they didn’t (at least not consciously -- in hind sight, maybe stress contributed to the problem). When McCain arrived, we waved our American flags and chanted “John McCain” with the crowd. As I anticipated, it was very inspiring. It was nice to be around like-minded people (except for the crowd of Obama’s protestors outside).

McCain was almost finished speaking when things got very exciting for me. Peach asked for a piece of candy, and so I bent over and reached into my purse, which was sitting on the floor between my feet. When I stood up, I swayed a little on my feet and grabbed my son to steady myself. I thought it was just a momentary loss of balance, but the room started spinning and I could not stand up straight (or at least I didn’t think I was straight). I told Doug that I had to leave and he grabbed my arm and led me out (all the time thinking that people probably thought I was his elderly mother!). I was swaying the entire way to the door (imagine very drunk old lady) and the room was spinning like I was on a carousel.

We got outside and to a picnic table where I sat down and waited for the spinning to subside, but it didn’t. I don’t even know how long we sat there, but I finally said to Doug, “this isn’t going away; I think you’re going to have to call someone.” I couldn’t move my head at all for the spinning, I could barely talk, and I knew if I stood up I would fall over. I really wanted to lie down and pass out. There were people pouring out of the arena and vendors selling buttons and hats all around, and the chaos was ten times worse with the dizziness. Doug dialed 911 and within minutes there was medic at my side. I won’t bore you with the gory details (if you gone this far with me, God bless you), but I ended up in the ambulance with my daughter weeping on Doug’s shoulder outside looking in the window. The boys were in a panic and trying to keep it together, I could tell by their faces. I highly recommend if you are going to be incapacitated by vertigo at a public place, don’t do it in front if your kids; you’ll scare the begeebers out of them.

Fortunately the ambulance ride was short, because a hot, bumpy ambulance ride with a dizzy head is not enjoyable at all. When I got to the hospital and was evaluated, the doctor suspected that I had vertigo, precipitated by me bending over with my head upside down and then swinging quickly back upright. Sounds crazy, but I guess crazier things can happen. I had two CT scans and it doesn’t appear as though there is anything else causing it. When I first became dizzy, I was afraid it had something to do with my blood clots or the blood thinner I’m on, and I was afraid I had a clot or was hemorrhaging. Fortunately neither was the case and the vertigo is completely unrelated to my blood clots.

Now I’m on medication that helps with the dizziness, and as long as I don’t move quickly, the room doesn’t spin. I saw an ENT guy yesterday for follow-up and he said that the vertigo usually lasts a couple weeks, but will eventually go away. I’m on steroids to help with what he suspects is inner ear inflammation (Labyrinthitis).

So, my friends, that’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it. It’s not terribly exciting, and I’m afraid "my friend" John McCain now conjures up a whole new emotion for me, but I’ll get over that. Like everything in life, this too shall pass. I went to see a new family doctor yesterday, just to establish myself as a patient, and we had lots to talk about between the blood clots and the vertigo. She said, “when it rains, it pours doesn’t it?” And I agreed. I am, however, grateful for good medical care, and I hope that my current medical issues resolve themselves before next January, if, God forbid, Barack Obama and his national health care plan is elected.

I appreciate your prayers, and I promise to continue to pray for you, too.





.

22 comments:

  1. Many prayers for you, Barbara - vertigo is not fun :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that goes away and soon! That has to be one of the most awful feelings! Glad it's not anything worse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you wrote! I've been worried about you and praying for you and your clots, and I was afraid things had taken a turn for the worse. I'm sorry you've now got something completely unrelated, though. :-) I'll keep praying for your good health.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, am so glad you wrote about it!! I thought it was your leg and that darn clot!!

    Vertigo is not fun though. My mother in law has gotten it a few times. I know a chiropractor really helped her. The hard part is not knowing when/if it will strike again.

    Prayers for you still!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How scary!! I too am glad that it was not blood-clot-related (that's what I was fearing)
    Prayers will continue until you are ALL better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was so too a good story! And I'm not telling anybody anything different!

    I'm glad you're feeling better--very glad--but because you're feeling better, I feel compelled to warn you: slow down!

    Doug can cook for a day or two, and I'm sure you have it in you to let him. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barbara,

    Put your feet up, sip some herbal tea, and read your favorite magazine!

    Glad your much better though. Your a gifted storyteller; I felt like I was at the McCain rally with you.

    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with Margaret and Kathleen Miller: take it easy for Heaven'sake! Glad you're going to be okay - but I"m still keeping you in prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad you are doing better!! I have had vertigo, blood clots in my lungs and been on long term blood thinners, there is nothing worse than having something strange going on healthwise and wondering what it could be related to. I will be keeping you in my prayers...

    And ditto everyone else, "Take it easy!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Praying for you Barbara. I have had so many inner ear problems and public episodes of dizziness that it seems almost strange to not feel dizzy anymore! (Gee, I guess that says quite a bit about me, eh?) Anyway, I am thankful that you are well and home resting comfortably and taking it easy while you recover!

    God Bless,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you are doing better and I hope it resolves completely very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Praising God for you, Barb!!

    May you continue to mend and take comfort in the knowledge that so many are praying for you...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Barbara, I'm glad the vertigo is unrelate to the blood clots. Praying the medication helps and you're able to rest.

    Still praying here for your full recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Barbara, I am praying here for your recovery from the clots and now the vertigo.

    And I also ditto everyone else "Please take it easy!" I know that can be hard, but please try.

    God bless,
    Zina from Ora

    ReplyDelete
  15. Prayers for you, Barbara!

    I have had a few episodes of vertigo, but almost all of them began in our house. So, at least that's better than in public.

    The last time I had it, it was weeks before I stopped feeling that slightly dizzy feeling (but it literally started with me stepping out of bed and falling on the floor and then crawling to the bathroom to get sick).

    I hope that yours gets better much more quickly and that it doesn't happen again!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had vertigo for about 30 minutes when I was given a GI cocktail (maalox, mannitol, lidocaine) in the ER before they agreed to do the CT scan to diagnose the blood clot...(they thought I just had heart burn) I thought I was surely going to pass out and stop breathing. It was surreal. My orthostatics were actually off. I'll never let them give me that again.

    I assume they checked your orthostatics (blood pressure laying down, sitting, and standing). Were they normal? And of course all your blood levels.

    frustrating! Well, stay hydrated, and don't move about too quicky okay!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Barbara, how terrifying! Thankfully it sounds like you're in good hands and know that you and your family are always in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Barbara

    I have had a couple of episodes of this now, in my case when I am pregnant, apparently not uncommon. It is horrible and so frightening. you have my complete sympathy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Barbara! How did I miss this?!
    I pray that the vertigo passes quickly and that you are feeling better soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. That must have been terribly frightening, I'm so glad it's not more serious. Praying for a super quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Barbara, please know that although I am soooo behind on everything in life lately (it seems) I've been praying for you and had you on my mind the past few weeks after perusing through your rosary making site (AWESOME by the way!!!). Something just kept nagging at me to get with the program and catch up with all my google readers favorite blogs, love overdue to read through. WOW, I am amazed to find this, still praying for all your intentions. I LOVE your rosaries too, super talented woman. God Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, I had this too Barb, years ago! It was so scary, I thought for sure I was going to find out I had a brain tumor or something. :) The medicine did work, and it's never happened to me again, so I hope you have as good an outcome too. I hear it can be stubborn to clear up sometimes.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!