Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Monday, September 29, 2008

A Quick Post and Favor Request

.
Our internet and cable have been out for almost 24 hours. I can't believe how pathetic we are that being without cable and the internet for such a short time sent some members of the family into a tizzy. Doug was cross that he couldn't catch an afternoon football game yesterday, and unable to find something the do, the kids just walked around, repeatedly stopping to look in the fridge. Doug and I had an enjoyable movie to watch last night, so I was happy, but the kids were grumpy. I have another blood clot in my leg, so I have limited time to spend at the computer anyway.

I have, however, been busting to tell you about something.

Doug and I have decided that we would like to remember my cousin Jill with a memorial gift of picture books to her parish grade school in Cincinnati. Jill, educated as a teacher, but unable to spend much time in the classroom because of her illness, loved children's literature. And because Catholic schools are unable to buy religious books with their state funds, we thought it would be nice to donate some Catholic picture books to the school library. Our plan is to donate some books now and donate a few more during each school year.

I contacted the principal at the school and she was happy to hear about our plan, and she put me in touch with the school librarian. I have a list of some of our favorite titles below, and, as a favor, I would like to ask if you have any favorites to add to the list. I'm sure I'm forgetting some really good ones.

Mary the Mother of Jesus by Tomie dePaola

The Princess and the Kiss by Jennie Bishop

The Loyola Treasury of Saints

The Weight of a Mass by Josephine Nobisso

The Good Man of Asissi by Mary Coker Joslin

An Alphabet of Catholic Saints by Brenda and George Nippert

Saints: Lives and Illuminations by Ruth Sanderson

Once Upon a Time Saints by Ethel Pochocki

The Small Miracle by Paul Gallico

The Lady of Guadalupe by Tomie dePaola

The Crippled Lamb by Max Lucado

The Parables of Jesus by Tomie dePaola


ADDED:

Take it To the Queen by Josephine Nobisso

St. George and the Dragon by Margaret Hodges

The King of the Golden City by Janet McKenzie and Mother Mary Loyola

The Holy Twins by Kathleen Norris and Tomie dePaola






.

9 comments:

  1. Josephine Nobisso just released a companion book to "The Weight of a Mass" called "Take it to the Queen" which you might like to consider.

    What a beautiful way of remembering Jill!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely way to honor Jill's life! There are many books by Tomie dePaola that I would recommend: St. Patrick, Our Lady of Guadalupe, are two that immediately come to mind.

    Margaret Hodge also wrote some wonderful books about the saints: St. Jerome and St. George are two that I can think of right now.

    Barbara, I'm praying for your healing. Has the doctor said why you've been experiencing so many blood clots since the surgery?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle,
    Thanks for your prayers.
    I have another appointment with a vascular surgeon. Since this clot (in my thigh) is not related to a surgery, or other obvious high risk, I will probably have to have some blood work done. There are many reasons for hypercoagulation but I'm not going there in my head yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angel in the Waters

    St George and the Dragon

    May I suggest that you make an Amazon wish list with the school's library as the mailing address and open donations to anyone? Amazon keeps contact information confidential. If you prefer to be more directly involved, have the books shipped to you.

    If you haven't thought of it yet, I think you should get some custom bookplates to affix on the inside cover.

    ReplyDelete
  5. King Of the Golden City is a lovely allegory, just perfect for young ones preparing for Holy Communion.

    The Holy Twins by Kathleen Norris and Tomie dePaola is a delightful book, as well!

    What a joyful tribute to Jill's memory and affirmation of her love for life and learning...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for more suggestions. I knew there were more titles and you wonderful ladies would remember them.

    Michelle, I do want some personalized bookplates. Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First of all, my prayers re: the blood clot.

    I'd like to suggest that new book about the Pope, the one "written by" the cat. Our school library has it and it is lovely. The title is "Joseph and Chico." Author is Jeanne Pergo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Barbara,

    Praying for your complete and total healing.

    I love the story of The Clown of God and St. Jerome and The Lion. I'm not sure of the authors and I don't think I saw them on your list...but I'm not sure. My brain these days is a little more than scattered.

    God Bless,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  9. The kids also really like the following:

    The Squire and the Scroll by Jennie Bishop (the boy version of the Princess and the Kiss)

    The Faith and Freedom Readers

    A Catholic Child's Illustrated Lives of the Saints by L.E. McCullough


    elaine

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!