Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Making a List and Checking It (at least) Twice

.

Thanks for all your help, ladies. The college list is going to be a work in progress, but at least it's in progress. I had some helpful additions from my friends here.

With the prompting of an online link left in my comment box, I thought to check with the university website and yes, they did have a "what to bring" list, as well as a "what not to bring" list. I won't print my list here, but if you are trying to figure this out for yourself, I'd be happy to email you mine. I made a trip to Target last night, spending $100 on less than half the list.

A few of you mentioned that it had not been all that long since you were living the dorm life, you young chicks you. I do think, however, that just in the last few years, college life has changed drastically. As with many changes, I can't decide if they are good changes or bad. When I went through some of the suggestions, as well as the lists I found, with my son, we found that many of the previously-required "tools" for college are no longer necessary:

No alarm clock needed -- that's on the cell phone.

No telephone or answering machine either -- that's also on the cell phone.

No stereo -- they all use iPods.

No calendars, notebooks, organizers -- all done on computers which they take to class and type their notes on (and we will back that up on a memory stick every night, right?)

No quarters for phone or washers -- they have an i.d. card that doubles as a cash card and is (hopefully) loaded with bucks that they can use at the washing machines, soda machines, dining halls and pizza joints. That one I'm really worried about.


What they do still have in college:

Books - yea! (and thus, highlighters, yea!)

Beds -- extra long now so we get to shop for special sheets, mattress covers etc.

Showers -- double yea! and I will send that shower caddy as well as some flip-flops. Since my student has a private shower (shared with three other male roommates -- yuck) I am sending cleaning supplies as well that will probably come home in June untouched.

Appetites -- snacks will be appreciated and every room has its own microwave and fridge now -- they finally figured out that they really are a requirement for dorm life

Germs -- I really liked the suggestion that he take a first aid kit, stomachache medicine, cold medicine, headache medicine, a thermometer -- those are things I would have forgotten.

Weather -- one thing I saw on the university's list that I would have forgotten was an umbrella. Geoff argued at first that he didn't need one, and then I think he thought about it for a second. No more lift from mom and those might be some long walks in the pouring rain.

The university list also reminded me to send health insurance information in case of emergencies. And just in case you're wondering -- your homeowners insurance will cover your student's possessions.




So, we have exactly 15 more days to get everything in order, and then, well, I can't say what's going to happen then. I'm not going there right now.

.

3 comments:

  1. I like to think that I didn't graduate from college all THAT long ago, but the list above disabused me of that notion :) I had no cell phone (calling cards or collect calls), no laptop/computer (computer lab), no iPod (tape deck, yikes!), no microwave in my room (maybe saved me a few pounds?), but I had piles of hoarded quarters.

    I'll be thinking of you as you send him off. If I am emotional over sending mine to kindergarten, I don't even want to think about college!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's going to be me soon...email that list!!

    I'd add, instead of an umbrella, a good rain poncho. They roll up tiny into a little pouch and can cover the backpack.

    The first-aid/medicine kit is genius. I will definitely remember that one when it's my turn. (Not to mention this fall, when he goes to Mississippi for a week with Habitat).

    Maybe you could invest in one of those "automatic shower cleaner" things that I always thought were SO unnecessary, but I could see where in this situation they could be a Very Good Thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way back when, I shared a bathroom with three other women (two rooms connected by a bathroom), and the dorm had someone clean it weekly, just like the big, public bathrooms. Maybe they've changed things, but I wouldn't think they would change that.

    One other note, I'm sure that the student health center will provide, for free, all the cold medicine and pepto bismal he would need. Your supplies should be so he can survive class before he goes to the doctor to get more.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!