Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Red Door Inn: Occupied

.


We had an unexpectedly busy weekend. On Friday my college roommate emailed me from three hours away (where she lives) and asked if we were too busy to have overnight guests this weekend. She and her daughter were coming close by for the state fair and thought we might be able to catch up for a bit. We haven't seen each other in two years -- far too long considering we're only a few hours from each other. They arrived on Saturday afternoon and left this morning -- not nearly enough hours to really catch up, especially considering that we did, at one point, have to sleep, and our children needed a wee bit of attention.

Why do women do that -- put our own friendships on the back burner while we take care of our families? I always say that life gets in the way, but it's so wonderful to reconnect with people who knew us back in the day, that afterward I wonder why I waited so long? I am going to make a commitment to see my friends more often. I know that it's not easy to get away from the kids, and sometimes I have to in order to make it happen, but I don't want to wake up when I'm 65 and my children are grown and find out my friends are all gone.

St. Thomas Aquinas:


“Friendship is the source of the greatest pleasures, and without friends even the most agreeable pursuits become tedious.”




.

1 comment:

  1. Barbara, I'm so glad you and your friend were able to reconnect and strengthen your friendship.

    A good friend I've known for almost a decade was recently in town. It was so uplifting to revisit days of old and catch up on what's happening now.

    I'm going to follow your lead and make a more concerted effort to keep in touch with my friends.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!