Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Thursday, June 26, 2008

Another Wild Night

.
Last night Doug and I went to bed around 11, but with a storm on the way, Doug watched the weather for a bit while I did prayer, and we finally turned off the light around 11:30. I had just started dozing when the tornado siren went off. We knew the storm was bearing down on us, so we didn't even stop to check the weather radar. I lifted a sleeping Peach out of bed and Doug shook the boys awake. "Come on -- down to the basement." Fortunately Michael and Peach had been setting up "tents" down there, so we each grabbed a sleeping bag or blanket and settled in the playroom -- the most northwest room in the basement.

Doug flipped on the little TV down there and the evening news, devoted entirely to weather at that point, tracked the storm where apparently a tornado had been spotted. Fortunately for us, it was about 15 miles to the south. Hopefully, our friend Kimberly, who was much closer, made it through the night without harm. After waiting about 30 minutes and making sure nothing was going to change about the direction of the storm, we headed back to bed.

Peach wasn't quite ready to make it into her own bed -- the lightening was incredible -- so she camped out between Doug and me. Her cough kept us all awake until I finally got up for more cough medicine and then Doug put her back to her own bed where the humidifier was running (just exactly how long is this croup going to last, I ask?).

I think we were all asleep by 1 a.m. This morning the creek is wild and crazy -- up to the very edge of its banks and I looked up this list of patrons against storms. I'll be writing down those names for the next time we have another wild night.

.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Barbara - what a night. I have to say that's one of the few thing I don't miss about the midwest! :) Hope you guys get some rest and things calm down a bit weather-wise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand! Between Northern KY and Chicago, we've had our share of nights like that!

    St. Brigid, with her cross made from the reeds, is my favorite saint during stormy weather!

    God Bless,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barb:

    What a wild night!!! Finally back on line after a direct strike to the utility pole outside the house. It was very frightening...fire, sparks, a gigantic KABOOOOM!!

    My computer, my very favorite and very new computer didn't survive the storm...though we had unplugged all the computers we forgot to detach the cable modem. Both modem and computer bit the dust. C'est la vie! Minimal damage considering the ferocity of the storm.

    Glad you made it through!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!