Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Monday, May 05, 2008

Girl of Many Nightgowns

One of the many pleasures I've had in having a daughter, is sewing her clothes. When I bought my first sewing machine about 20 years ago, I bought it to sew window treatments. I made valances and Roman shades and curtains for my new house. I was just trying to save money at the time. I had no experience in sewing, except for home-ec class, and no one in my family could show me how to sew. Fortunately, sewing window treatments only requires sewing straight lines. As long I could imagine it in my head and measure correctly, I could make just about any window treatment I wanted.

When my boys were little, I ventured into sewing clothes, but other than pajamas, sewing for boys is really not much fun. Boys' clothes generally come in khaki and navy blue, and frankly, I'd rather just support the clothing industry for khaki and navy blue britches.

But, when my daughter was born, I knew I was headed for some fun stuff. Fabrics for girls are just so colorful and cute. And patterns are so pretty. So, for several years I've been sewing her pajamas and now nightgowns and some dresses and shorts outfits. It's very pleasurable. I can doll her up all I want -- at least as much as my little doll will tolerate. Peach still loves pretty, ruffly clothes, and by making them myself, I can make them to suit her taste (and my desire for a little modesty).

I recently finished making some nightgowns, and I share these pictures with you because if you don't sew and you have a daughter or daughters, it's really worthwhile to learn how. I always buy fabric on sale and, with a little help from the clearance rack at the end of the season, I managed to make each nightgown for around $5. Where can you get a nice, new nightgown for $5? One I even made from an old top bed sheet. We have several sets in which the bottom sheet just got too thin, but the top sheet is laundered to nice and soft, with plenty of wear left -- perfect for a summer gown -- for free! I even have half that sheet left for some baby doll pajamas and another top sheet waiting for another nightgown. That's my favorite form of recycling! Can you guess which one is made from the sheet?



This one and the next one are flannel gowns.
I bought the fabric on sale at the end of the season
and made them long enough for next year.
The one above has ribbon ties on the sleeves, instead of elastic.
Peach likes a 3/4 sleeve instead of full length because she tends to get hot in bed.
The pattern for these two gowns calls for a short sleeve,
but I lengthen them for winter nightgowns.



This one is from the same pattern package as the one above,
but is more summery.
I've been using the same pattern in various sizes for year.
It's a lot easier to sew something once you've gone through the pattern one time,
and I think just changing the fabric and trim makes each nightgown original
enough even though I've used the same pattern.
The one above has a big wrinkle down the middle where it was folded in her drawer.
I guess I should hang her nightgowns!


And this one is the "sheetgown."
Since the fabric is plain, I jazzed up the sleeves a little -- giving her "princess" sleeves,
and embroidered some flowers and a butterfly on the front.
She's modeling it with a pair of pajamas underneath.
Normally we don't wear both :o).

.

9 comments:

  1. These are so cute, Barbara! Right now, learning to sew seems to have fallen under my "Ten Year Plan," but my girls love nightgowns. Maybe I could outsource the gowns to you? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Barbara! I'm currently at the window treatment sewing level and haven't been courageous enough for clothes yet. This post definitely has me wanting to try though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Barbara she is too cute! I love the Princess sleeves too! My girls would love these. I actually can sew, but my sewing machine is very broken. I really should get it fized, but I'm dreading to think the cost! :) Thanks for the inspiration - there are so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO ADORABLE! What a great way to recycle. She looks every bit the princess:~D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are SO cute! I wish I could sew something cute like those. I am at the straight line point!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Peach is precious! And her nightgowns are very pretty - yes, making girl stuff is fun!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aimee -- send me their measurements and I'll send you a price! Got any old sheets?? ;o)

    Stina and Jamie -- definitely try moving up to patterns. Nightgowns are pretty easy -- they are mostly straight lines. I like Butterick patterns because I think they are easier to read, but everyone is different like that.

    Deborah -- get that machine fixed. Just think how much you could save in the long run!

    Thanks Lana and Cheryl! I think she's kinda cute, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Barb!

    How adorable! You don't give yourself nearly enough credit, you are quite talented! Peach is a precious girl...

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!