Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Monday, May 12, 2008

Father knows best

.
One day last week I was on the phone with my mother-in-law. I was being a fairly big whiner, telling her about the weekend ahead -- how Doug had big plans for working on projects around the house, and I had lists and lists of things to do. Jokingly (or maybe not), I told her I wanted to run away from home and join a community of quiet, contemplative devotion. It sounded really good at the time.

After my rant was over, my mother-in-law said, "Here is what my 'meditation of the day' says today:

We like to plan the life we shall offer to God in just the way that seems good
and aesthetically right to us, to achieve holiness between four walls,
with every modern convenience,
undisturbed sessions of solitude, work, and prayer and
a selected number of friends on whom to exercise our charity and with whom
to live, reasonably, easily at peace. It is difficult to imagine that a plan like this
...so full of sweet order, prudence, and common sense, so harmless...could
not be pleasing to God. Yet God changes everything." -- Caryll Houslander


I thought I'd share with you today -- sometimes we think we know what's best, but Someone else always knows better.


.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!