Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Thursday, February 21, 2008

Lenten Inspiration

.
I ordered a Lent activity book last year and the other day I grabbed it off the book shelf to see if I could find some inspiring activities to do with the kids this next week. The book is 40 Ways for 40 Days: A Family Guide Through Lent. I was a little disappointed when I realized that half of the book is not in the book (there were two sets of the first and last sixteen pages and the middle pages were missing). So, instead of 40 days, I have, about 20. But I was able to find a nice project for the weekend.
"As a family, discuss and decide different ways members could make sacrifices during Lent that could save money. Some examples are skipping or reducing snacks, soda, and liquor; simpler meals or occasional 'poverty meals'; less frequent and less expensive entertainment; reduced energy consumption at home and while driving."
I think that the kids can get their minds around most of these ideas (except the liquor) and really embrace several of the Corporal Works of Mercy.

Another suggestion is to go through the children's drawers and closets and determine what fits and what can be given away. The children can make a sacrifice by trying on clothes without complaining and maybe giving up something that they really would prefer to hang on to. Mother Theresa said give until it hurts.

Give to the hungry some of your bread, and to the naked some of your clothing. Whatever you have left over, give away as alms; and do not begrudge the alms you give. Tobit 4:16

I also want to turn you on to this article. I've seen it at several different stops on the Net, and it's worth reading.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!