Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Is There a Doctor in the House?

Yea, we need one. Two kids down. Who's on deck?

Both Anthony and Michael are sick -- fever (hovering around 100 for three days); sore, thick throat (not strep to my uneducated but experienced eye); snotty noses; croupy cough. Michael's been camped out on my bed for two days. Anthony is still going to school. Since his fever is under 100 in the morning, technically we're not breaking any rules, but it breaks my heart to send him to school. He insists he has to go. I know he would rather stay in bed (what teen wouldn't?), so I admire his spunk.

Michael has a bell that I gave him yesterday. He rings it every, oh, five minutes. Peach lovingly runs upstairs to see what he wants, and I deliver. The sick tray has gone up and down the stairs more times than I care to count. We actually need two sick trays. I'll have to keep my eyes open for one.

The question is, do they need to go to the doctor? My mother alarm has not gone off. But, many false alarms may have worn it out. How many times do we schlep into the doctor, pay our $20 copay, expose ourselves to unknown biohazards, and learn they're fine. Oh, about a million times (just a slight exaggeration). The dad says we wait until tomorrow.

Last night I was reading my Magnificat evening prayers and learned that St. Arnulph of Cysoing is the patron of fever and bronchitis. That's handy to know. He and I will be talking today. What else do I have to do?

.

8 comments:

  1. Oh Barbara...I pray everyone in your household gets well quickly and stays well!

    I too waffle on going to the doctor...I say, "If they're not better by tomorrow - we'll go" and I seem to say that for 2-3 days...and by that time usually the body has healed itself and I'm thankful that we didn't go.

    I'm also thankful for the intuition that tells me, "Take this child or yourself to the doctor NOW."

    Many prayers for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Cheryl! When it is serious, you just know. I never take my kids to the doctor for ordinary illness unless they are getting progressively worse but maybe I am a mean mama. I won't even give them medicine to lower a fever unless it is above 102. My doc is a great doc who agrees with me on most issues (vaccines being one are where we don't see eye to eye) and he tells me all the time...a fever is the body's way of burning off the illness. Let it burn!

    Praying that your guys are better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope they are all well soon! I took Middle Sister to the doctor today (she's been down since Saturday) and she has a double ear infection! The doctor said that he doesn't see those much in 12-year-olds, and she had no pain in the ears, but whatever....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope everyone is better soon. As an fyi, and I don't know how well/if it actually works but our doc told us yesterday that a study came out recently that found grape juice (to break up mucus) and the heavy syrup of canned fruit (to coat a sore throat) work well instead of cold medicine.
    regina

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope they're all right and recover overnight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope everyone gets to feeling better soon and that you stay healthy yourself through it all!

    God Bless,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much ladies, for your well wishes and suggestions.

    Jennie,
    "The alarm" went off today and they're going in to the doctor tomorrow. Both still have low-grade fevers and coughs. Noah has been in bed for three days -- highly unusual for an 11 yo. He's not lethargic, or even sleepy, but the fact that he's still down surprises me. I thought the boredom would have him up after two days at the most. Since he is asthmatic, I'm pretty concerned.

    I'll keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!