Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Friday, September 21, 2007

I'm So Tired...

.
WARNING: mild rant ahead

I'm not certain if there's enough coffee on the earth to wake me up. This 6:30 a.m. is getting to me. I learned this morning that I don't like cooking eggs at 6:30 in the morning. Fried egg yolk at that hour makes me sick. Why can't my children eat granola and milk like normal people? Actually they don't want to eat anything, but I can't let that happen. That's mother guilt for you.

And in the past two days I spent more time helping my son study for an American history test than I ever spent studying for any single test, midterm, final in four years of college. That is ridiculous. Why do they have to take college-level classes in ninth grade? Who is this teacher? He's crazy. It's American History -- it's not rocket science. It is what it is. No amount of analyzing will change it. He's sucking the fun out of it (violating rule No. 1 in my book -- do not suck the fun out of learning.) My son the freshman is earning an A in Latin, but may not pass his American history test. Even after studying for like a zillion hours. Something wrong with that.

And tonight we're supposed to go out to dinner with some old friends (and they're not just old friends, they're old too, but we love them), and I'm not certain I'll be able to keep my eyes open or stop yawning for our 7 p.m. reservation at a really nice steak house (and I'll not be eating steak on a Friday now will I, so I'll be eating fish at the steak house).

But, thank God it's Friday. I'm finished. Have a good weekend. I'll be sleeping.


Edited to add this prayer for my young test taker:

O Great St. Joseph of Cupertino who while on earth did obtain from God the grace to be asked at your examination only the questions you knew, obtain for my son a like favour in the examinations for which he is now preparing. In return I promise to make you known and cause you to be invoked.
Through Christ our Lord.
St. Joseph of Cupertino, Pray for us.
Amen.

.
.

7 comments:

  1. Barbara, I feel your tiredness and your disgust with too much homework! If enough people complain to the principle I wonder if anything could be done about the homework blitz? Is the teacher too old or too new? Maybe needs to learn a thing or two his/her self? I will keep you in my prayers:~)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara, I give you permission to go back to bed!! I don't like cooking breakfast that early either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lana,
    I wish I could make a difference. I have tried in the past. I believe that the principal feels that the system is working, so why change it. I just don't think it needs to be so extreme to continue working. Oh, I wish I was a high school principal. I completely agree with the strict discipline (it's an all-boys Catholic high school), but not with the knocking-their-heads-against-the-wall studying. I'm ready to commit hari kari.

    To answer your question, the teacher is not really young or old. Just crazy. And I'm only half kidding. I'm afraid if I accidentally met him in the hall today I would spit in his face. And I'm not kidding at all about that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Cheryl. I may take your suggestion this afternoon and take a little power nap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. God bless you, Barb!

    TGIF! Here's hoping you catch up on your sleep this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Kim. I'm up early on Saturday to take one of the kids to the doctor -- so much for sleep plans. It never does quite work out the way we hoped. I'll offer it up to the poor souls.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barbara,

    Hang in there. I know I'm a day (or two!) late on my sympathies, but I hope you had a restful weekend!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!