Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Black Forest Torte


As promised I baked three Schwarzwälder Kirschtortes -- two for Anthony's German class and one for my mother's birthday, which was today. It was delicious. The boys inhaled it and the German teacher said it was authentic. Of course, she may have just been saying that to spare my feelings. Nevertheless, below is the recipe with a note below on what I would change next time. Considering what a great presentation it offers, it really wasn't that much work. Pictured is the cake and my mom with Peach.





Black Forest Torte
(Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte)

5 eggs
3 egg yolks
⅔ cup sugar
¾ cup cake flour
6 T cocoa, unsweetened
¼ t baking powder
¼ t baking soda
1 - ½ t vanilla

Preheat oven to 350. Grease three 8-inch cake pans and line bottoms with wax paper. Grease wax paper.

In a medium-size mixing bowl, combine eggs, egg yolks and sugar. Beat until thick and light. Sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and baking soda. Gradually fold flour mixture into egg mixture. Add vanilla and pour batter into the three pans. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until tops spring back when pressed lightly with your finger. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before removing from pan. Cool completely.

Syrup:
1/3 c. water
1/2 c. sugar
3 T. cherry liqueur

Combine water and sugar in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove mixture from heat and cool. Stir in cherry liqueur.

Filling and Frosting:
1-1/4 c. cherry pie filling
3 T. cherry liqueur
1 pint heavy whipping cream
1-2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, shaved

Mix together cherry pie filling and liqueur. Put a layer of cake on a plate. Brush with one third of syrup. Spread half of cherry mixture on top, spreading evenly. Add the second layer of cake. Brush with 1/3 of syrup. Spread with remaining cherry mixture, spreading evenly. Then spread half of the whipping cream. Top with the third layer of cake and brush with remaining syrup. Frost top of cake with remaining whipping cream, leaving sides exposed. Sprinkle top and sides with shaved chocolate. Chill for one hour.

NOTE: I would not have bothered with the Kirsch (cherry liqueur -- also known as Kirschwasser) if I had know that it really didn't add that much. In fact, for kids, I would intentionally leave it out. I think it adds a flavor that they don't necessarily appreciate, and I even cut the Kirsch by 2/3 because I was taking it to school. Having said that, I have a $14 bottle of cherry liqueur to use up. Maybe I'll find a nice cocktail for it. I would, however, make the syrup because I think the cake, which is very spongy, benefits from the moistness that the syrup provides.



3 comments:

  1. Looks yummy to me. I wish my family liked cherry flavored anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ate Black Forest Cake in the Black Forest, and I assure you that they don't skimp on the Kirschwasser and the flavor is overpowering. I have no suggestions for the leftover booze - my husband and I dumped our shot in a nearby bush...it was just too strong (and this was in our young days - on our honeymoon - when we really did know how to drink!).

    But I'll bet the rest of the cake is just yummy. I always liked German Chocolate Cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe I forgot to comment on this. It looks incredible! I could never do something like this... WOW! Did the boys like it?

    As for the kirsch - try http://www.webtender.com/cgi-bin/imbselect

    You put in the drinks you have in your bar as well as any extras like lemon juice etc. and it tells you what cocktails you can make! It's quite fun actually!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!