Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Bird Journal

Spring has definitely sprung and the new bird sightings are proof.

We get a lot of birds where we live, even during the winter, because even though we're in the suburbs, we live on a ravine with a creek and attract much wildlife that you usually don't see so close to housing areas (besides the normal squirrels, bunnies, chipmunks, moles, opossums and occasional raccoons, we have a muskrat that we frequently see).



These are two we see for much of the winter, along with the:


And those are just the ones we've bothered to identify.

But in the spring, summer and fall, we generally see a whole new bunch of birds.

Yesterday we were surprised to see these
Turkey vultures land in our big oak tree. It's fairly creepy to have them flying overhead. I guess we watch too many movies.


Then later we caught the flight of this Blue Heron. His wing span is so huge he actually causes the ground to become shaded when he flies in. He is gorgeous and we usually see him fishing in the creek, walking along like an old man. But this time he flew in and landed in the same oak tree.




3 comments:

  1. Wonderful pictures! I just love to see what birds are visiting and when. Happy birding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband pointed out to me some years back that we have a colony of blue heron nests not too far from our house, and it is the neatest/weirdest thing to see all those blue herons in the tall, tall trees (that's where they nest). One of my favorite birds - I grew up in the northern part of the state and there were many more of them (along with their white cousin, the egret).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this is a wonderful post! I had to show my Crackerjack your turkey vulture picture - they are his favorite birds, lol!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!