Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Ice Cream, Yea!


Today the high around here was in the high sixties. The sun was warm and bright, and I could almost feel that spring is here. In a few weeks we'll skip past spring completely and be right smack at summer.

In the summer we make lots of ice cream. Homemade ice cream is one of the best desserts ever, and the bonus is, I know what's in it. We usually make a very simple base of milk, cream, sugar and vanilla, but this past weekend I made a vanilla base that tasted just like frozen vanilla pudding (because basically that's what it is). This Cuisinart machine is what I use. Doug bought it for my birthday a few years ago and it's one of the best small appliances I own.

Below is the recipe for the frozen vanilla custard and here's a link for some more great recipes.



Frozen Vanilla Custard

1 cup whole milk
3 cups heavy cream
¾ cup sugar
4 egg yolks
1 T vanilla

In a heavy bottomed saucepan heat milk, cream and sugar stirring occasionally until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is hot. In a mixing bowl start whisking the egg yolks. Take about one cup of the hot mixture and slowly pour it into the egg yolks and keep whisking. When your egg yolk mixture is smooth, slowly pour it into your hot mixture in the saucepan, whisking constantly. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Be sure not to let the mixture boil at any time or it will curdle. Pass mixture through a fine strainer into a bowl and stir in the vanilla extract. Refrigerate until very cold. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. Enjoy!


3 comments:

  1. Hello!
    Very good posting.
    Thank you - Have a good day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is what I want for Mother's Day! I asked for it for Christmas. My DH bought me a Cuisinart Food Processor instead and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband and eldest son both LOVE ice cream, so this would be such a fun thing for us to have!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!