Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Monday, April 30, 2007

Weekly Menu -- April 30 through May 6

Before I get to this week's menu, I thought I'd post a few notes about last week.

I tried a new website for recipes and was very impressed. I used
Tammy's Recipes for bagels, Pepperoni Rolls and Friday Chicken. I already posted about the bagels, so I won't get into that.

We tried the
Pepperoni Rolls on Saturday instead of our regular pizza. My guys loved them. I make Stromboli quite a bit and asked how they compare, and they all agreed that they like the Pepperoni Rolls better. That's saying something at my house. Peach and I are not big pepperoni eaters, so we didn't try them, but I'm sure I will be making them again. Peach and I ate Checca and foccacia instead.

On Sunday we tried Tammy's Fried Chicken. We eat fried chicken about twice a year. I just can't do it more often, since I know that it's not a very healthy way to eat chicken. But a few times a year it sounds so good that I can't resist. When I saw the pictures and reviews on Tammy's site, I couldn't resist. And I have to admit that I was dubious about the recipe. Only the reviews convinced me to try it. Even while I was cooking it, I thought it would bomb. Adding water to fried chicken? All I can say is you have to try it. It is soooo good and the kids absolutely raved. Definitely six thumbs up. I fixed four breasts and 8 drumsticks and all but part of a drumstick was eaten. One note about the recipe though -- once you add the water to the pan, don't touch the chicken again until you put it in the baking pans. You'll surely loose your breading. I didn't touch mine and no harm came to it -- and all the breading stuck.

This week on the food front. I asked the kids for some suggestions this month. That's always helpful, not only to fill the menu, but to get ideas for meals that they will willingly eat. One of Anthony's faves is Tuesday. Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Soup -- couldn't be easier.
The Dirty Rice on Wednesday is always yummy. And it's from one of my favorite resources, Hillybilly Housewife (how can you go wrong with a name like that?). So are the Fudge Brownie cookies. Both are tried and true recipes. The Critter Crunch for Monday night's dessert is one of my kids favorites treats to have around, so the recipe's below. You can substitute almost anything in the recipe and get great results.

Doug's going to be out of town for my nephew's (his Godson's) Confirmation from Thursday to Sunday, so we'll be eating a little more casually.

Monday

Lunch: Cheese quesadillas

Dinner:
Beef gravy on four-cheese pierogies, green beans, fruit, Critter Crunch

Tuesday

Lunch: Cream cheese salami roll ups, carrot sticks

Dinner:
Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Soup, Grilled cheese sandwiches, fruit, Root Beer floats

Wednesday

Lunch: Bean and cheese burritos, chips, fruit

Dinner:
Dirty Rice, cole slaw, corn bread, fruit , Fudge brownie cookies

Thursday

Lunch: Pierogies

Dinner: Waffles, sausage, fruit


Friday

Lunch: Tomato soup, grilled cheese

Dinner: Au gratin potatoes, carrots,
Apple Ladder loaf

Saturday

Lunch: Chilitos

Dinner: Pizza,
Rita’s Frozen Custard

Sunday

Lunch: Sausage gravy and biscuits and eggs

Dinner:
Loosemeat sandwiches, oven fries, fruit, Rice Krispie treats


Critter Crunch

¼ cup margarine or butter

3 T brown sugar

1 t cinnamon

1 - ½ cup Crispix or Chex

1 ½ cup Cheerios

1 ½ cup animal crackers

1 ½ cup Teddy grahams -- honey flavor
1 cup Life cereal

1 cup pretzels


Melt butter, sugar and cinnamon. Mix well. Combine cereals and cookies. Toss with butter mixture. Place on 15 x 10 pan and bake for 30 minutes. Stir every 10 minutes.



1 comment:

  1. Another Tammysrecipes.com fan! Nice to meet you...just stoping by from the Catholic Mothers Blog Roll. :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!