Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Thursday, April 19, 2007

Dress-up Dolly



When Peach was a baby I so enjoyed dressing her every day. No pajamas during the day for my little girl. After all, she was my first girl, and after three boys. My mother used to "accuse" me of dressing my dolly. Every little spit up or milk dribble and it was dirty clothes off and clean clothes on. It didn't matter that I had to wash all of them. I loved washing and folding them, too (even ironing!).


Yes, I was dressing my dolly. It was so much more fun than dressing boys. After all, moms are girls and we can appreciate girlie clothes. Doug loves to see Peach dressed sweetly, but he doesn't appreciate it nearly as much as I do. And while I haven't ever had to buy much, thanks so much to hand-me-downs from friends with great taste, I still appreciate dressing her everyday.


Now, I am finding more and more frequently, that my little dolly has her own taste, and that her choices often differ from my choices. Today I laid out a cute little cotton knit play dress. Nothing that would ruin if she got into mud or grass stains, but a dress nevertheless. Peach almost always chooses a dress over pants. She went up and dressed halfway through the morning and wore the dress for a little while. She asked if she could go out and play, and after spending 30 minutes or so outdoors, she came back in to change. I asked, "Why do you need to change, you're fine?" She said, "Mom, I need to wear my sand clothes." So she went upstairs and came down a few minutes later with this outfit on. She told me they are her beach clothes (AKA bathing suit cover-up). Must be dressed properly for each event of the day. Even when the beach is just the sand box.


At the end of the day, just like every other day, I will find a pile of clothes on the floor of her room. At least four outfits -- one for every event of the day. Even when she has not left the house once.


Fortunately I still enjoy washing them.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!