Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Tuesday, April 03, 2007

A Good Confession


The boys and I headed off to Confession last night. As we drove to the church they teased each other about how long they would each be in the Confessional. One told the other, "Father's going to tell you, 'Drop and give me 100 Our Fathers.' " They still get nervous before Confession.

We were very surprised to find a full parking lot when we got to church. We thought there must be an event going on at the school. But when we entered the church we could see that there were many people there for Confession. In fact, we waited for almost an hour to have our Confession heard and I was able to finish the rosary while waiting in line. I thought that was great (not that we had to wait an hour, but that there were that many people there!).

I found some good resources to bookmark yesterday while we were preparing. Here is a child's Examination of Conscience. And an adult Examination of Conscience. Of course, the Baltimore Catechism always works too. This another good resource. And while I'm not implying that you have any mortal sins to confess, it's always good to know what to avoid!

And a Prayer for a Good Confession
O my God, by my grievous sins I have re-crucified Thy divine Son to myself and have deserved Thy everlasting wrath in the fires of hell. Even more, I have been most ungrateful by my sins to Thee, my Heavenly Father, Who have created me out of nothing, redeemed me by Thy Son, and sanctified me in the sacraments by Thy Holy Spirit. But Thou hast spared me to make this confession. Receive me back as Thy prodigal son and grant me to confess myself well, that I may begin anew to love Thee with my whole heart and soul, henceforth keeping Thy Commandments and suffering patiently whatever temporal punishment for my sins may remain. I hope by Thy goodness and power to obtain everlasting life in paradise. Through Christ Our Lord. Amen.

cartoon by Sam Tarode at http://www.torodedesign.com/gagcartoons.html

1 comment:

  1. Funny you mention that. I went with some of the kids to confession this morning and the line went quite slow. I whispered to my 11 year old that you should never mind waiting in line for confession - since those people really need to be there!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!