Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Lenten offerings



Several years ago, upon deciding what I would give up for Lent (for as long as I can remember it has been Diet Coke), my husband said to me, in all sincerity, "God doesn't want our chocolate bars." Huh?


He said a priest declared this fact in his homily on Ash Wednesday.

Well, I don't know who this priest was, or how he knows that God doesn't want our chocolate bars, but I'm not believing it. Now, I know that God does not literally want our chocolate bars, but I believe he does appreciate sacrifice for Him.

I think this particular priest's purpose in saying this was to promote doing something instead of giving up something. Maybe to make acts of kindness instead of abstention. I understand the difference, but I don't think it's right for us to say what one should or should not sacrifice for God.

I was reading a book today by Jesuit Brother Rick Curry (The Secrets of Jesuit Soupmaking--great cookbook, by the way) and he said, "At the beginning of each Lenten season during my years at Wernersville, our novice master cautioned us against excesses in fasting. He taught us that St. Ignatius wanted moderation in all things. Almighty God doesn't want our sacrifices: He wants our hearts. He wants us loving and contrite. He wants us to enjoy and revel in our relationship to Him. The purpose of Lent is to bring us closer to God and any practice we perform during this sacred season should bring fulfillment and satisfaction with it, or we will truly lose our resolve.
The primary purpose of fasting is to condition our body to become more alert to God's proddings of love. But oftentimes the very act of fasting so distracts us from the original intent that it becomes a deterrent rather than a help."

So, honey, I'm not giving God my chocolate bars, or my Diet Coke this year. I've decided that I will try to listen to the Lord everyday to know what will make him happy, and make little acts of sacrifice as the moment presents itself. Maybe not putting jelly on my toast, or not having dessert, declining a Diet Coke, or doing random acts of kindness, if I feel my sacrifice will bring me closer to God.

Whatever it is, I know that God will appreciate it.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this thoughtful, helpful post! Have a blessed Lent!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!