Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Wednesday, February 21, 2007

St. Margaret of Cortona

Jesus said to Margaret of Cortona, "I have made you a mirror for sinners. From you will the most hardened learn how willingly I am merciful to them, in order to save them. You are a ladder for sinners, that they may come to me through your example. My daughter, I have set you as a light in the darkness, as a new star that I give to the world, to bring light to the blind, to guide back again those who have lost the way, and to raise up those who are broken down under their sins. You are the way of the despairing, the voice of mercy."
Margaret was born of farming parents in Laviano, Tuscany. Her mother died when Margaret was seven; life with her stepmother was so difficult that Margaret moved out. For nine years she lived with Arsenio, though they were not married, and she bore him a son. In those years, she had doubts about her situation. Somewhat like St. Augustine she prayed for purity—but not just yet.

One day she was waiting for Arsenio and was instead met by his dog. The animal led Margaret into the forest where she found Arsenio murdered. This crime shocked Margaret into a life of penance. She and her son returned to Laviano, where she was not well received by her stepmother. They then went to Cortona, where her son eventually became a friar.

In 1277, three years after her conversion, Margaret became a Franciscan tertiary. Under the direction of her confessor, who sometimes had to order her to moderate her self-denial, she pursued a life of prayer and penance at Cortona. There she established a hospital and founded a congregation of tertiary sisters. The poor and humble Margaret was, like Francis, devoted to the Eucharist and to the passion of Jesus. These devotions fueled her great charity and drew sinners to her for advice and inspiration. She was canonized in 1728.

text from americancatholic.org

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your information on Margarita of Cortona. This is the name I was given upon my solemn profession as a Secular Franciscan on 4th. May, 1980. I am attached to the Conventual Franciscan friars in Dingley, Victoria, Australia, where I also work in the parish. I am also married and have 4 living children and one who died soon after birth. 2 of my children are giving me some grief at the moment - one with what seems to be undiagnosed bi-polar (in my husband's family) who's doing some really unbelievable things, and another who was married only a short time and his wife went off with his friend - so he's angry and hurting. Many thanks, Margarita.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This year I chose to do my saint project on her and are now looking for her prayer. She was a great inspiration and should be to all.
    Thank-you St. Margaret!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!