Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Blessed Be His Holy Name



We give honor to the Name of Jesus not because we believe that there is any intrinsic power hidden in the letters composing it, but because the Name of Jesus reminds us of all the blessings we receive through our Holy Redeemer. (newadvent.org)

Isn't it sad to hear the many ways in which His Name is taken in vain. One of the wonderful women at Ora et Labora recently taught me a nice way to deal with a situation when someone takes the name of the Lord in vain. She says "Blessed be His Holy Name." I'm not sure I would "correct" a stranger, but even if I said it to myself, it would make me feel better. So when someone slips an "Oh my God," I say "Blessed be His Holy Name."

The Litany of the Most Holy Name of Jesus is a beautiful prayer.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!