Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7



Thursday, February 04, 2016

Brisk Thursday Daybook






In the garden...
...yesterday was warm and very windy and today we woke up to a dusting of snow. We just never know what weather we're going to get each day. My poor daffodils just keep inching upward, with a warm sunny prompting one day, and then they shiver in the cold the next. The birds and squirrels seem to come no matter what the weather, but I haven't seen a chipmunk yet, which means it's still winter. Silly daffodils.


I'm thinking about...
...a foot surgery that is coming soon -- mid-February. I guess my Lent will be spent in a black velcro shoe with crutches, and I'll be offering up the freedom to get around and do the things I need and want to do. Some people would be happy to sit and bark orders out, but I'd rather do the work myself. We'll see how well I handle that. The surgery is to remove a neuroma in my right foot that did not respond to other treatment. I'll be relieved when I can stand without having burning in my toes. The burning from the nerves in my leg is enough of a trial.


I am wearing...
...a black corduroy skirt, plum long-sleeved top, a scarf, black leggings and boots.


I am reading....
...War Brides by Helen Bryan at night -- just started it a couple nights ago. I just finished listening to The Life of Objects by Susanna Moore ( a very good period novel), and up next is Extraordinary, Ordinary People by Condoleeza Rice.


I am creating...
...mostly rosaries for my shop. This is the busy season, with Confirmations and First Holy Communions coming soon. I'm making one or two rosaries every day so my shop will be well-stocked (my fingers are getting well-callused). A sale every few days allows me to buy more supplies to keep working. I'll hopefully be able to get a lot of rosaries made post-surgery.

I also have some stitch-markers in my shop for those readers who knit. Miss Cheryl M. gave me a shout out on FB a couple of weeks ago, wondering if I could put some in my shop, and they turned out pretty nicely.







I finished the little green sweater I was making for my other Etsy shop and now I am working on another blanket -- stripes of white, wisteria and ice blue. It's rather boring knitting, but it serves its purpose.





I've also had a number of costumes from the dance studio to alter. I imagine that will continue until mid-May.


In the kitchen...
...lots of soups and stews and hot belly-warming meals. I'm doubling a lot of my recipes because my sister-in-law's mother lives nearby and she needs a little home-cooking love. I'm trying to deliver meals once a week. I'll have to triple my meals for the next couple weeks so I can deliver her meals and have some things put in the freezer for my recovery.


At the school table...
...chugging along. Faith is a little behind in a few subjects so I'm doubling one subject every day. Some days are better than others. C'est la vie.



Around the house...
...Candlemas is over so my goal today is to get all of the nativities put away. I haven't started my de-cluttering yet, but I need to get to work to get a little bit done in the next couple weeks.


Plans for the rest of the week...
...well, it's Thursday, so there is not much week left. The married kids are coming tomorrow night for dinner and laundry, and on Sunday we're going to Doug's brother's house for the big game (not that I'll watch a minute of it).  I'll have to be sure to take my knitting.



A few of my favorite things...
...Downton Abbey -- so far this season has been very entertaining
...a supply of pretty beads, and rosary parts
...good movies -- last night Faith and I watched the remake of Ice Castles and I put the older version in my Netflix queue because...Robby Benson? sigh...a window to my teen years
I also enjoyed Like Sunday, Like Rain -- a really good flick (adult language)



Prayers sent heavenward...
...for my husband and children, to do God's will every day
...for my cousin Amy who has a troubling infection
...for all priests and religious
...all babies whose mothers are contemplating abortion, for a change of heart
...for friends who have asked for prayers
...for a special friend who is going through a really hard time in her marriage








9 comments:

  1. You had me at Ice Castles!!! And yes to Robbie Benson. We have one Nativity to put away along with the Christmas dinnerware. Let me know if I could help on foot surgery day, we can take Faith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I appreciate the offer. I hate to disrupt your school day, and Lord knows Faith is disruptive!

      Delete
  2. I'm loving this season's Downton, too, and I'm glad they moved away from Anna and Bates, because she's been getting pretty annoying. ;-)

    I've been tripling and freezing meals lately, and it is wonderful! When I need a day off of cooking for this enormous crew, I just pop something out of the freezer, make a couple of easy sides (salads and bread) and enjoy the evening. I have some quicky meals frozen for those days that don't go quite as planned, and some that want to be thawed in the morning for cooking later. Happy, happy. I should have a nice little stash of meals for when Baby arrives, too. :-)

    I'll be praying your surgery is uneventful and successful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this season is more uplifting -- although the end of the last episode was a different kind of UPlifting. ;-)

      It's great to have meals in the freezer, isn't it? I rarely do, but it's crazy -- if a recipe is freezable why not double it? I just don't think to do it.

      Delete
  3. My twins are receiving their First Holy Communion this May, Barbara! I can hardly believe it!! I will be shopping (in your shop) soon for their special Rosaries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just send me an email with color preferences and any special requests.

      Delete
    2. Oh, thank you, Barbara! I will!

      Delete
    3. P.S. Extra prayers for your surgery, too!

      Delete
  4. Love hearing your update...I was not aware of your upcoming surgery! I will be praying and can I bring a meal? Is someone at church coordinating meals for you? Just let me know! On another note...my mother in law adores the rosary you made for her!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments -- sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself!